Broody & Mean

I currently have an almost 2 year old hen (backyard mix) that has gone broody and acting aggressively like a rooster towards the my other hens (Easter Eggers), under a year old. She's even trying to attack my four 2 month old babies (2 frizzled bantam cochin cockerels,1 red sex link pullet and 1 Rhode island pullet). She's currently in chicken jail and there's absolute peace among the flock but once I let the "mean bully" out for exercise she goes straight to terrorize the flock. We are on the second week and I'm at my wits end. I don't know what to do to reform her. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

She's been in isolation for 2 weeks straight? Or how often do you let her out? When she's isolated is she being kept in there overnight, and unable to lie directly on the floor or the ground?

She's been in isolation for 2 weeks straight? Or how often do you let her out? When she's isolated is she being kept in there overnight, and unable to lie directly on the floor or the ground?
She's been isolated for almost 2 weeks and she stays in overnight. She's unable to nest in there, only roost but she chooses to loaf on the ground. I try to let her out twice a day with supervision but she immediately resumes to bullying and aggressively mounting.

She's been isolated for almost 2 weeks and she stays in overnight. She's unable to nest in there, only roost but she chooses to loaf on the ground. I try to let her out twice a day with supervision but she immediately resumes to bullying and aggressively mounting.
Might need to shake her up a bit more - I've read about everything from ice baths to car rides, but maybe sequestering her away from the flock for a short period (no more than a day or two, to avoid having to reintegrate her) would help unsettle her more so she breaks.

Might need to shake her up a bit more - I've read about everything from ice baths to car rides, but maybe sequestering her away from the flock for a short period (no more than a day or two, to avoid having to reintegrate her) would help unsettle her more so she breaks.
I think I'll try the ice bath 🤞. At this point I'll try about anything. Thank you for the tips!

Back
Top Bottom