big brown egglayers

What causes double yolks is that the hen's internal egg making machine messes up, she releases two yolks at a time instead of just one. Pullets just starting to lay and older hens tend to do that more often than others. Some individual hens have that glitch in their system. Since the commercial egg laying hybrids like ISA Browns have been bred to lay a lot of eggs their internal egg laying factory is more prone to glitches so they are probably more likely to do it than regular dual purpose breeds but occasionally you get a dual purpose hen that will lay a lot of them.

One way you can encourage them to lay more double yolks is to feed them a lot of protein. That's one reason the commercial operations around a feed a 16% protein ration. They don't want weird or really large eggs, the ISA browns and similar lay a nice Grade A Large egg on that 16% feed. Additional protein can cause the regular eggs they lay to be larger than normal too which can lead to medical problems like prolapse, egg bound, or internal laying. They are not just saving money by feeding a 16% protein feed instead of 18% or higher they are looking out for the overall health of their flock.

Your ISA Browns are probably as good a choice as any and better than most if you want a chance at double yolks. How you feed them can have an affect on double yolks but even then they are probably going to be pretty rare unless you just happen to have one that tends to lay them.

I have a mixed flock. I get the biggest eggs from my Barred Rocks and a Heritage Orpington. I have 4 hatchery Orps and several Wy's that lay medium to large size eggs

Yea, I have seven 13 week olds.
I'm glad to hear that. Hopefully yours were from Hovers hatchery. Cause that can make difference. GC
Nope my hatchery birds came from McMurray. My Heritage Orp from a breeder and my Wy's are TSC and My Pet Chicken, neither of which I will order from again.

Back
Top Bottom