Big Busy Rooster, and Little Hen...

dandylion1

In the Brooder
6 Years
Dec 4, 2013
So I have one rooster and three hens. two of them are almost five months old. One of them is very small though yet my rooster ( 6 months) is very big. In the last ten minutes he has gone absolutely crazy and tried to mate with all of them at least once. I was just wondering if it was a possibility he hurt my smaller hen because after she was freaking out, would not stop talking, and has been running away and hiding from him. I was just wondering because now they're all hiding from him, but I guess that's just because he's been after them constantly. Right? should I keep him away from them until he settles down? or do you think its a one day thing and he'll settle down a little tomorrow?He's usually very nice to them so I don't know why he is now chasing them down every few seconds!I cannot increase my hen to roo ratio until the spring so what should I do!? Will he calm down a little bit????? Please help because I do not want him being mean to my hens!

Is the roo also six-months old? If so, he's experiencing his first flush of hormones, and yes, he's going nuts.

It's normal for young hens just becoming fertile for the first time to be very nervous when mated. Some get used to it quickly, and others take longer. It's upsetting to them because they think they're being attacked. After awhile, they will be more receptive.

However, your young roo is not going to become a gentleman overnight. It usually take a year, maybe two, and sometimes three years for a rooster to settle into his hormones and relax in his sex drive and be more selective and gentle.

Ok. Thank you! He is six months old but two of my hens are only five months old and still small so thats why I was worried about them. But thank you. I guess everythings okay! how do you add the smiley faces? I'm new here and have no clue how to do anything!

Look along the top of the "reply" box. You will see the smiley icons. Click on it and you will get all of the different kinds to choose from. Select the one you want and click on it. It will get pasted onto your reply.

You can separate the rooster for a year until he mellows out. I keep mine on the other side of the fence from the hens. They all can talk but not touch. When they all free-range together, the roosters get limited contact with the hens. that way the hens aren't pestered all the time and have some freedom from being mated constantly.

I have noticed that my young roo seems to make SURE I see him mating if I happen to be in the run or the coop. He does not do this if I am outside the run, ever! Maybe yours is making sure you know whos really the boss-of course he thinks its him.
I also notice that the mating behavior increases right before dark, Its like he wants to get rid of some of those hormones before he has to go to roost.....

One rooster for 3 hens is a too much roo for too few hens.....

Last edited:
Ok. I know we dont have enough hens but we didnt expect him to be a rooster and dont have space to add more hens right now. Now that you mention it, when he goes crazy it has been mostly at night or when its getting dark... thats usaully when they get out of the coop and when Im home so maybe its just some weird rooster thing and he isnt like that all day. Im not really sure but I guess if he just likes to mate in front of me I'll just have to not stand near the glass door that leads to the porch, where they always go an poop all over the place. Or near any windows. I dont want him over mating my girls so wish me luck!

Back
Top Bottom