1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

"Big butt eggs"

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JMarch, Sep 12, 2014.

1. JMarch

JMarch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2010
    Louisiana
    The kids found two huge eggs in the nesting boxes today- one's 72 grams, the other is a whopping 84 grams! Pics show them next to store-bought "large" white eggs. Funny thing if you can read it is that one of the kids wrote on each of the big ones "big butt egg".... by US Standards, an "extra large egg" has to weigh at least 64 grams. Waiting on Belinda and the kids to get back from swim practice to crack em open for the "big reveal- single or double yolk". As fun as the doubles are, I'm really hoping that these are "singles" which would mean that we've got some "jumbo egg" laying hens.......
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    those sure are big eggs!

3. krista74

krista74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    My RIR girls all lay 71-74 gram eggs most days, and I thought that was normal. I didn't realise it was anything special - but now I'm all proud of them! None of those has been double yolked though.

We had a 108 gram egg a few weeks ago and it was a double yolker. [​IMG] You couldn't even fit that one into the carton!

Sadly my BO's eggs are much less impressive - they are only 52 grams on average, although they did turn out a 60 gram egg once, and I was full of praise for them!

Congrats on such great eggs! You will enjoy those I'm sure.

- Krista

4. JMarch

Jan 20, 2010
    Louisiana
    Our pullets are production red and red-sex linked. Been laying for a couple of weeks now- still getting some small ones from the newest layers- seems like the others are really "kicking in" with the big ones..... we'll see if any are doubles or not tonight...

5. JMarch

Jan 20, 2010
    Louisiana
    108 grams is HUGE

6. JMarch

Jan 20, 2010
    Louisiana
    cracked the 84 gram egg- was a double yolk. We'll see about the other one in the morning for breakfast.

7. Quickster

Quickster Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2014
    My amber white layed a an 87 g and the next day and 81 gm. I was worried about her. I don't want her to kill herself making eggs. today it was barely a large so I feel better.

1 person likes this.
  8. Quickster

Quickster Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2014
    Meant to add, your kids crack me up! [​IMG] Big Butt Eggs. That's great!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by