"Big butt eggs"

JMarch

Songster
10 Years
Jan 20, 2010
Louisiana
The kids found two huge eggs in the nesting boxes today- one's 72 grams, the other is a whopping 84 grams! Pics show them next to store-bought "large" white eggs. Funny thing if you can read it is that one of the kids wrote on each of the big ones "big butt egg".... by US Standards, an "extra large egg" has to weigh at least 64 grams. Waiting on Belinda and the kids to get back from swim practice to crack em open for the "big reveal- single or double yolk". As fun as the doubles are, I'm really hoping that these are "singles" which would mean that we've got some "jumbo egg" laying hens.......

My RIR girls all lay 71-74 gram eggs most days, and I thought that was normal. I didn't realise it was anything special - but now I'm all proud of them! None of those has been double yolked though.

We had a 108 gram egg a few weeks ago and it was a double yolker.
ep.gif
You couldn't even fit that one into the carton!

Sadly my BO's eggs are much less impressive - they are only 52 grams on average, although they did turn out a 60 gram egg once, and I was full of praise for them!

Congrats on such great eggs! You will enjoy those I'm sure.

- Krista

Our pullets are production red and red-sex linked. Been laying for a couple of weeks now- still getting some small ones from the newest layers- seems like the others are really "kicking in" with the big ones..... we'll see if any are doubles or not tonight...

My RIR girls all lay 71-74 gram eggs most days, and I thought that was normal. I didn't realise it was anything special - but now I'm all proud of them! None of those has been double yolked though.

We had a 108 gram egg a few weeks ago and it was a double yolker.
ep.gif
You couldn't even fit that one into the carton!

Sadly my BO's eggs are much less impressive - they are only 52 grams on average, although they did turn out a 60 gram egg once, and I was full of praise for them!

Congrats on such great eggs! You will enjoy those I'm sure.

- Krista

108 grams is HUGE

My amber white layed a an 87 g and the next day and 81 gm. I was worried about her. I don't want her to kill herself making eggs. today it was barely a large so I feel better.

Back
Top Bottom