BIg Coops? Who has a really big coop?

farmgirljen

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 29, 2008
Corvallis Oregon
I am contemplating a new coop/building...and am thinking if I am gonna do it, I am gonna DO IT, lol. So, my thinking is I would like to have a building about 10X24 and have part of it be my tack room , a central entryway with a sink, etc... and then coop on the other end...Need ideas, so tell me about your VERY large coops/houses... Thanks!
lol.png

i am about halfway through constructing an 8x20 coop. It's all for the 15 chicks coming in July - no horses here. I am making a very large (60x30), completely caged-in run that will actually be using oak trees for some of the wall and 'ceiling' support. (The chicken run is in the woods - so is the coop, for that matter.) The coop is an extension of an 8x16 toolshed on premises - but there will be no access from the shed, and the coop has a separate wall layer up against the shed wall to ward off fumes from the shed (gas, oil). How many chickens in your 24-foot coop? How much of it will be just for the chickens, how much for the tack?

I have an 8 x 16' coop that houses all of my chickens. I have a lot of birds, too...but it's divided into 6 large breed coops and has four bantam coops (pens without runs) along the ceiling. I am planning on 4-5 bantam coops WITH runs that are separate from the main structure of the building. These will just be used spring/summer/into fall and then they will go back into the heated/insulated coop for the winter.
smile.png

Pics of these larger coops would be GREAT! I'm getting ready to build a larger coop that will house a few breed pens. I'm terrible at designing anything myself and could use some visuals. Thanks to the OP for starting this thread
thumbsup.gif

If you click on Coops on the BYC page and then go to the large coop page , about the 15th row down, there is a large coop from montana! It looks like it is built on a hill....

My coop is a purchased 12 X 24 shed, barn shapped with a loft. It is NOT big enough though. I have four 2x4's X12' for roosts across the back end and a short wall about 10' from the double front doors. That has fencing to the ceiling and a door. I can fit lots of hens in there but I am thinking to get another coop for my breeding pen. I have one cut window in there and a pop door. I love some of the pole barn breeding sheds with individual pens. That is my dream. HenZ

The inside of my coop is 10' x 10' with 12' ceiling.
Its part of an old barn structure that was on the property.
The one side is a hay barn, the middle is my hubbys workshop, the front right side is my tack barn and the back right is the coop.
It was built in 1924 so it needed some shoring up but its pretty nice inside for the chickens.

My coop is 8x16. I built it 2 years ago and just move it to my new house and finished it yesterday. We originally built it in pieces and then assembeled it on the site. We built it with 2 8x8 floors and walls ect... and then joined them together before the walls and floor went on. That way we could build it in the garage and assemble it outside. Here are some pics:

chickencoop002.jpg

chickencoop001.jpg

chickencoop003.jpg

chickencoop004.jpg

coop002.jpg

aacoopandchicks012.jpg

aacoopandchicks011.jpg

and now that its moved here and finished:

newcooppics017.jpg

newcooppics020.jpg

newcooppics019.jpg

Back