Big Day for My Ducks!

SeaSea47

Songster
7 Years
Mar 12, 2017
I'm mostly posting this because I'm so excited. My mom died in August, and she was the only person I know who truly got excited about these things, so I need to share with someone. I think my friends are tired of hearing about ducks! But my ducks had their first true free-range session this morning (only some came out and they only stayed out about half an hour before they were ready to come back in and splash around in their pool and eat their morning snack of peas and romaine lettuce), and I got my first eggs! For some reason, I thought duck eggs would be larger? And maybe they will be? I haven't eaten duck eggs, so I'm anxious to try them. Anyway, just had to share my excitement. 😂

1632245356134.png

1632245384172.png

Their eggs will get larger. How many drakes do you have.
I have three (I have more hens than are pictured - I just snapped the one pic as they were starting to come out - and plan to get more soon - those two just rule the roost and lead everyone right now), but I'm prepared to separate a couple of the boys if things get too aggressive as they mature.

I’m sorry to hear about your mom ❤️

How exciting you got your first eggs! My khaki campbell eggs aren’t much bigger if at all than my chicken eggs. I have a jumbo pekin and her eggs are huge! They taste great, let us know what you think once you try them!

I’m sorry to hear about your mom ❤️

How exciting you got your first eggs! My khaki campbell eggs aren’t much bigger if at all than my chicken eggs. I have a jumbo pekin and her eggs are huge! They taste great, let us know what you think once you try them!
Thank you! I'm thinking about adding some pekins to my flock, but I just have the khaki campbells right now.

Thank you! I'm thinking about adding some pekins to my flock, but I just have the khaki campbells right now.
Pekins are my favorite! We had 3, one died 😭, they seem more friendly and less skittish than the other breeds we have. The one in the snow is big mama, she’s 2 1/2 years old and the other is Swiss, a 7 week old drake. They’re more interested in me than our other ducks and I love it!

Attachments

• B6FAAF79-1738-4DAC-A74E-AA29E90E8B46.jpeg
    B6FAAF79-1738-4DAC-A74E-AA29E90E8B46.jpeg
    459.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 18684BC2-A3D9-4B0A-A125-2734E01E03CE.jpeg
    18684BC2-A3D9-4B0A-A125-2734E01E03CE.jpeg
    792.9 KB · Views: 2
Pekins are my favorite! We had 3, one died 😭, they seem more friendly and less skittish than the other breeds we have. The one in the snow is big mama, she’s 2 1/2 years old and the other is Swiss, a 7 week old drake. They’re more interested in me than our other ducks and I love it!
Gorgeous! I love that they are so friendly. My little Olive (the first one out in the picture of them coming out of the run) thinks she is my best friend, and the other ones aren't too skittish around me, but they don't like it if anyone else comes around them. That's one reason I decided to let them out - they won't let me in the pen to feed them without staying right up under my feet. And I really haven't handled them much other than moving them from box to brooder and small brooder to big brooder and big brooder to their outside house.

Gorgeous! I love that they are so friendly. My little Olive (the first one out in the picture of them coming out of the run) thinks she is my best friend, and the other ones aren't too skittish around me, but they don't like it if anyone else comes around them. That's one reason I decided to let them out - they won't let me in the pen to feed them without staying right up under my feet. And I really haven't handled them much other than moving them from box to brooder and small brooder to big brooder and big brooder to their outside house.
They’ll definitely love being out then! In the warmer months we let ours out almost daily and they love foraging and roaming the yard. That’s also when we give them treats, usually garden scraps or meal worms. That’s how we get them to like us is through their stomach haha

Aww congrats! And the eggs will get bigger. One day they will be big! It's great they get to free-range, ours do almost every day. They really do love foraging and running about the place.

Sweet sympathy n blessings on loss of your mom. I hope you are not sad about ur loss!
Your eggs should get bigger and your ducks are lovely ! I have two female Indian Runners

Attachments

• 20210422_185022.jpg
    20210422_185022.jpg
    793.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 20210408_102654.jpg
    20210408_102654.jpg
    563 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom