Big dog vs Little duck

duckieMama

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 10, 2014
Yesterday, my GSD got a hold of 3 of my ducks and tore their necks open bad. The wounds are deep, muscle exposed, punctures, skin abrasions. I have flushed them well, cleaned with betadine, and applied FuraZone cream, which I mixed with sugar to help with granulation of the tissue. That has worked like a miracle, and the wounds themselves are healing rapidly.
However, my male Ruen, Sarge, is lethargic. He is inside on cage rest and will not stay out of his water bowl, He drools a lot when he drinks, and is not eating very much. My concern is that he may be fevered, or have internal injuries. How can I tell? And how do u treat a fever in a duck?
I cannot get to a feed store or vet, and must home treat.

Last edited:
Dogs and poultry are never a good mix. Poor ducks. You can post in detail about your ill drake on "Emergencies, diseases, injuries, cures," thread. But I think time is of essence

do you have a vet you could take him to? He probably does have internal injuries. Does he appear to be in shock? I'm no medic but, drinking loads of water always brings kidney failure to mind.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

I am so sorry about your babies. Do you have a vet nearby that you can take them too? You can also post this in our emergency section for more help...https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

I hope you can get your birds back to good health soon.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom