Big Egg Rant

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by violetsky, Feb 3, 2012.

1. violetsky

violetsky Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    Huntsville, Alabama
    I paid a PREMIUM for a dozen very rare type eggs. When they arrived they were suspiciously
    large, uniform and very clean. Not a single egg developed even though they arrived in perfect condition
    inside and out. You can't very well accuse someone of sending grocery eggs in feedback but I think
    I've been had.

2. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    I don't sell hatching eggs but my eggs i sell to eat can be that way if i sort them, like my production red eggs are xtra large and almost all the same shade of browm.
    Hope ya were not had but like ya said without a hatch you will never know , i don't think i could ever buy or sell eggs via the net because so much can happen before they get to ya and can't blame the seller for that.
    Mabe you can find what you want and buy chicks instead just keep looking.
    [​IMG]

3. duck&chickencrazy

duck&chickencrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2008
    Indiana
    I would be suspicious as well...I sell eggs and usually the eggs are different sizes. And I usually dont clean my eggs because that takes off the film that protects the eggs from bacteria. So more often than not they are a little dirty. My guess would be foul play....Im sorry this happened to you. Maybe crack them open and see what the insides look like [​IMG]

4. duck&chickencrazy

duck&chickencrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2008
    Indiana
    What breed are the eggs supposed to be?

5. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Can you open one very carefully and see if there is a bullseye.

6. violetsky

violetsky Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    Huntsville, Alabama
    They were the first of a new type so I can't say what breed they were without directly implicating the seller. I did break
    them open. The eggs sacks were perfect in all 12. It just seemed too good to be true. New type with a new type of feather
    and extra large perfect eggs too. Usually project eggs would be not so uniform and perfect. I've hatched a lot shipped eggs
    and never questioned the seller even though I've hatched mixed breed birds, or got dirty exploding eggs at times. A lot can happen
    in the coop or in the mailing process where honest folk might accidently send rotten, infertile or mixed eggs, but what I"m talking about is fraud. The eggs were so sterile that after 21 days of incubating not one even smelled bad and all the yolks were still bright.
    I didnt candle because of the colored shell. Its entirely possible that I'm wrong and there was no FOWL play. I'd like to know what
    the odds of receiving large batch of extra large very clean uniform eggs are for a backyard breeder with second generation type bird is????

7. RHRanch

RHRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

It kind of depends... but when I sell eggs I never send small, oversized, double yolkers or odd shaped eggs. And my eggs are really clean unless its been raining, I keep it really tidy in the nestboxes.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  8. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI

But most eggs from a breeder have slight differences. Even just tiny differences, a few speckles here or there, slightly different color shade, etc . But a random dozen eggs from a grocery store are perfect. Complete uniformity, because any tiny variation is considered a 'bad' egg and tossed. So it definitely seems suspicious to me.

OP, have you talked to the seller? What did they say?

9. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Contact the seller. If they have any decency they will send you more if you pay the shipping... IMO
    You should have had at least some growing in that hatch... ALL a dud?? No way.... somethings wrong.
    I have had eggs shipped to me and none hatched.. but they WERE fertile... so i CANT/WOULDNT blame the seller for that....
    But NONE fertile?? Yeah, you may have been scammed...
    Contact the seller... if they wont make good on the eggs then let us all know who it is by PM so we dont get ripped off too...... :lol:
    I have to say i have been SO lucky with the eggs i have bought off here... great, honest sellers... but BYC is getting so big now.. you just cant trust a lot of the new sellers because you dont "know" them...

10. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Every couple eggs I break open have the fertile sign. I would be very suprised to find not one fertile egg in that dozen you bought. Also makes sense not to wash them if they will be hatched.
    Egg sellers must have some sort of policy in place.What is theirs? Some will not replace/refund citing the buyer could have done something wrong....but if none are fertile you would think you get something back.

Whatever the response I would give a rating so others know what to expect when something like this happens.When I order something online I give honest feedback.Not rude but honest feedback about my buying experience.Sometimes sellers make note and do better next time around so they don't lose business.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by