Big egg

UncleHoot

Songster
12 Years
May 22, 2007
St. Johns, Michigan
It's the biggest egg I've ever seen.

img_1044.jpg

Compared to another egg from the same hen (probably Extra Large).

img_1046.jpg

On the scale (in grams). A large egg weighs around 60g, iirc.

Edited to show in-line pictures.

Last edited:
MY MY MY thats a big one. How long is it. A couple of weeks ago I had one that was 2 1/2 inchs. Someone beat me and showed one that was 2 3/4 inchs so I didn't show it on here. But it was a double yoker. Let us know if yours is.

I'd lay odds that is a double yolker. Every time we get a big one with that rings around the middle that looks like two eggs stuck together, there are two yolks.

15099_big_egg.jpg

One of my Buffs sqawked out this big one the other day! She gives us double yolkers regularly. I was concerned about a blowout so I was checking chicken butts, something I never knew I would be doing or even say!
wink.png

Quote:
Yes, it's almost certainly a double yolker (if not a triple). The band around the middle is on all of her eggs, though. All of her eggs are very large, too(around 70g). If her eggs keep getting larger as she ages, I really have to wonder what a double-yolker will look like in 2 years.:eek:

That is awesome! I have a couple Buff Orpington hens that we bought from an auction that are supposed to be laying. This was 4 weeks ago and we have yet to see the first egg. My husband keeps threatening chicken soup! I even keep the lights on in the coop so they aren't affected by the day light getting shorter.

I have two white leghorns that lay giant eggs. They each lay one a day, and I get a double yolker about every other day. The strange thing is that even when one of those two lays a double yolker, she still gives me a nice big egg the next day. I used to think that a hen could only make one yolk every 24 hours. Not those two!! They can do better than that!! I know that the eggs are coming from them because they are my only white egg layers.

Back
Top Bottom