Big egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by UncleHoot, Sep 18, 2008.

1. UncleHoot

UncleHoot Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    St. Johns, Michigan
    It's the biggest egg I've ever seen.

[​IMG]
    Compared to another egg from the same hen (probably Extra Large).

[​IMG]
    On the scale (in grams). A large egg weighs around 60g, iirc.

Edited to show in-line pictures.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2008
  2. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    Poor Hen!!! Or maybe it was an Extra Large Hen too.......

3. LauraSBale

LauraSBale Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow [​IMG]

4. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    MY MY MY thats a big one. How long is it. A couple of weeks ago I had one that was 2 1/2 inchs. Someone beat me and showed one that was 2 3/4 inchs so I didn't show it on here. But it was a double yoker. Let us know if yours is.

5. tvtaber

tvtaber Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Central CA
    I'd lay odds that is a double yolker. Every time we get a big one with that rings around the middle that looks like two eggs stuck together, there are two yolks.

6. bkbuz1987

bkbuz1987 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2008
    Colorado
    [​IMG]

One of my Buffs sqawked out this big one the other day! She gives us double yolkers regularly. I was concerned about a blowout so I was checking chicken butts, something I never knew I would be doing or even say! [​IMG]

7. UncleHoot

UncleHoot Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    St. Johns, Michigan
    Quote:Yes, it's almost certainly a double yolker (if not a triple). The band around the middle is on all of her eggs, though. All of her eggs are very large, too(around 70g). If her eggs keep getting larger as she ages, I really have to wonder what a double-yolker will look like in 2 years.:eek:

8. LilCobra

LilCobra New Egg

Aug 28, 2008
    That is awesome! I have a couple Buff Orpington hens that we bought from an auction that are supposed to be laying. This was 4 weeks ago and we have yet to see the first egg. My husband keeps threatening chicken soup! I even keep the lights on in the coop so they aren't affected by the day light getting shorter.

9. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    I have two white leghorns that lay giant eggs. They each lay one a day, and I get a double yolker about every other day. The strange thing is that even when one of those two lays a double yolker, she still gives me a nice big egg the next day. I used to think that a hen could only make one yolk every 24 hours. Not those two!! They can do better than that!! I know that the eggs are coming from them because they are my only white egg layers.

10. Jubaby

Jubaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    West Texas
    OUCH! That is big!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by