big enough to tell now? rooster or Pullet?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by karlamaria, May 26, 2011.

1. chickenlickin8

chickenlickin8 Songster

Jun 26, 2008
    Valrico, Florida
    My Coop
    In the pics you provided, the comb and waddles appear to look like a pullet....not screaming cockerel!

My pullets are 12 weeks and a couple of them are more developed than the others and showing a little red on their waddles and comb.....examples:

RIR Mix
    [​IMG]

SLW
    [​IMG]

2. karlamaria

karlamaria Songster

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    Quote:I forgot when we got them , with the house remodel, all the mess and chicks, they could be younger lol, we feed them well, and giv e good treats like nuts and berrys, and grasshoppers, and veggies.

3. jenesis536

jenesis536 Songster

Oct 3, 2010
    CA
    Both girls.

4. karlamaria

karlamaria Songster

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    Quote:So there having dominance issues? Only ruses two like to squabble, nothing major, but they do fluffy up and jump on each other or peck, not often but at least once a day when I'm looking.

5. karlamaria

karlamaria Songster

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    so my birds on the first page are females? for sure?? man I hate to have to send one away. thank you all for your help, my kids and I are so grateful for this site and all you folks. [​IMG]

6. Pinky

Pinky Songster

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    I'm very positive the black one is a hen [​IMG]
    Not sure on the red one [​IMG]

7. ReikiStar

ReikiStar Songster

We have 11 week old roos....I would say yours are girls. I know crowing starts at different times for different roos, but ours have been crowing or trying to crow since they were 6 weeks old. They are powerhouse crowers now. ;o)

If by now they haven't been stretching their necks and bodies forward with their hackles raised looking like "what do I do next?" (trying to crow) I think you're in the clear.

8. karlamaria

karlamaria Songster

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    Quote:Both are stretching there necks and jumping on each other. Like a dominance thing. Do only sime austrolorps have waddles?the other gals of the same age do not have waddles nor the red combs,theres are yellow. No red on there faces at all.

9. Maximus

Maximus Chirping

May 9, 2011
    Altha Florida
    Quote:x2

Last edited: May 31, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: