Big Flop, looking for recommendations.

Sorry I should have added in that I bought a dozen English White eggs from a very reputable breeder (so added disappointment poor results) and they are marked with a W.
The German Pastels were all marked GP.
So two Ws hatched. The one pictured and the one that died. The remaining 4 hatched from GP eggs.

The one White that looks fine is eating, drinking and otherwise being a baby quail. Quirky and cute personality. Maybe they are not really English White?
That’s interesting. English whites are supposed to have gray eyes at hatch like other quail chicks, not red! Perhaps the person confused double silvers with whites and inbred them, or perhaps you just got really bad luck and only hatched two albinos from genuine English white eggs. I hear some EW lines can make albinos when inbred but haven’t seen actual proof of it yet.

I’m glad it’s doing well, I’d like to see how it does in the future. It’s funny how some red eyed birds can see and others can’t.

Hi All, Looking for recommendations for incubators. A very sad story. I hatched my first Coturnix Quail. The results were miserable. I set 25 eggs and only 6 hatched. One had deformed eyes and was an albino English White. It could not see so could not eat, drink and would spin in a circle then plop over. I had to have it euthanized. Ugh.

The eggs were shipped from two Provinces over in a cut out foam holder. It looked like 13 eggs were viable at day 15. The rest did nothing at all which was to be expected after shipping I guess. Today is day 20 and the remaining 7 eggs have done nothing. No sign of life. Leaving them in for 4 more days to be sure.

The incubator appears to have hot and cold spots. My husband used a professional heat camera from work (the kind they use to see heat from helicopters) and the lower left corner is really hot while the upper right is so cold, only 93.9! Even though the thermometers I put inside read fine everywhere.

What are you recommendations for incubators?

Mine is obviously a flop! So sad and frustrated as the eggs cost quite a lot to have sent and I was really looking forward to my quail.

****The five babies I have are adorable, lively and beautiful. I did have to hand feed the only remaining English White 3x before it started eating and drinking on its own. The pastels were totally fine.

One English White. Would you say he/she is albino too or not?

Four German Pastels each different.

Thank you so much everyone!

Liv.
Here i ended up getting this and someone else ended up asking on here if its good and its a good price check the thread

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/qual-incubator-yes-or-no-with-pics.1426182/

Your white’s eyes look similar to my double silvers. I have 2 double silvers which are partial albinos. The eyes are more of a dark purply red, and the albinos have bright pink/red eyes. In rats it’s like the difference of pink eyed white and ruby eyed white. My 2 double silvers are adults and needed some help as they grew. The male is fine and other than being small, he has no real issues. The hen stopped being able to stand at a few weeks old, I supplemented and she could stumble around, eventually I switched food and was able to wean her off the supplements and she’s pretty normal now, but both are blind. Blind birds can learn to function well, but they scream a lot in the first few weeks. My 2 double silvers are indoor birds, their feathers are more frail, they look like skim milk, where my tuxedos white looks like whole milk. I call them my snow angels because they came from snowie hatching eggs I ordered online, and they are wonderful parents, I often give them chicks to raise once they’re a few days old and they adore them and care for them very well. Being blind I don’t give them fresh chicks, they need a couple days to develop getting out of the way skills lol.

That’s interesting. English whites are supposed to have gray eyes at hatch like other quail chicks, not red! Perhaps the person confused double silvers with whites and inbred them, or perhaps you just got really bad luck and only hatched two albinos from genuine English white eggs. I hear some EW lines can make albinos when inbred but haven’t seen actual proof of it yet.

I’m glad it’s doing well, I’d like to see how it does in the future. It’s funny how some red eyed birds can see and others can’t.
Thank you, I also hope the little one that is doing alright continues to thrive. It is very funny and quirky so a fast favourite. You may be right and they are double silver. Or I had double rotten luck. :(

A picture of the other one that passed. Very deformed bulging undeveloped eyes and no balance.

Attachments

• 20210413_081533.jpg
    20210413_081533.jpg
    293.7 KB · Views: 3
Your white’s eyes look similar to my double silvers. I have 2 double silvers which are partial albinos. The eyes are more of a dark purply red, and the albinos have bright pink/red eyes. In rats it’s like the difference of pink eyed white and ruby eyed white. My 2 double silvers are adults and needed some help as they grew. The male is fine and other than being small, he has no real issues. The hen stopped being able to stand at a few weeks old, I supplemented and she could stumble around, eventually I switched food and was able to wean her off the supplements and she’s pretty normal now, but both are blind. Blind birds can learn to function well, but they scream a lot in the first few weeks. My 2 double silvers are indoor birds, their feathers are more frail, they look like skim milk, where my tuxedos white looks like whole milk. I call them my snow angels because they came from snowie hatching eggs I ordered online, and they are wonderful parents, I often give them chicks to raise once they’re a few days old and they adore them and care for them very well. Being blind I don’t give them fresh chicks, they need a couple days to develop getting out of the way skills lol.
Thank you for telling me your experience. They sound like such sweet quail! I will be so happy for my little one to turn out like yours. I will be sure to watch this little one very closely you; may be right and it is a double silver.

Last edited:
My recommendation for a starter incubator is the nurture rite 360. It’s a great starter at a great price, there are a ton of thread here about it, you can use the search feature to look for nr-360 or nurture rite.

Here are my snow angels, Snowflake the male has the better feathers, and Baldi the hen has pretty ratty feathers. You can see how small they are compared to normal standard sized quail.
7BED50C1-75A1-46A8-B7E0-981BDAD1815F.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom