Big Incubator hatching

theswede

Songster
13 Years
May 7, 2009
Woodbury, TN
Hi all,
I had my first big batch of buff orpingtons today, so far about 90 have hatched okay. Still have about another 20 or so to go.

I have a question if anyone can answer, how can I keep the inner lining of the egg shell from getting hard? I lost about eight of them due to the lining getting hard and suffocating them. I kept the humidity around 67% while they were hatching but that didn't seem to work. Any ideas out there? I'm hoping to get into the business of this little hobby of mine, and it was easy on a small scale (7-10), but it's different when it's a 100 at a time.

I really can't address the hard membrane except with a guess. That would be to increase the humidity a bit. BUT, I had to come on and welcome another swede!! Jag ar svenska!! So much for my swedish. Welcome and enjoy your time! Vicki

Thank you! My family is from the Swedish Mountains, mostly back in time we were considered the Finns in the Mountains.

I was just following the instructions on the bator, but I think I may try that on my next batch.

did you open the incubator 3 days before or during the hatch, that could cause it.
jumpy.gif

Each time you open the incubator or hatcher spray the eggs with a bottle of warm water ( I fill mine with hot water because when you spray it , it really cools off). We have found that this really increased our hatch. Last hatch was 170 duck eggs and we had 155 hatch, percentage wise this was a very good hatch. I am a little sick of all the duck poop now though. Hope this helps.

did you open the incubator 3 days before or during the hatch, that could cause it.

Yes I did my girls wanted to watch one. They have never seen this before.

Each time you open the incubator or hatcher spray the eggs with a bottle of warm water

Spray them with warm water.

Thanks!! I wondered if that would help or not. Would it help to run up the humidity over 70%?

Back
Top Bottom