Big metal shed to chicken coop...?

Another question for any of you. Will 1/2 inch hardware cloth keep out mice or do you normally use 1/4 inch?

The problem with 1/4" hardware cloth is that it is usually a thinner gauge and can't be trusted to keep out raccoons and other strong predators. I have a place on my coop where either a big raccoon or a strong dog *almost* got through the 1/2" hardware cloth.

The problem with 1/4" hardware cloth is that it is usually a thinner gauge and can't be trusted to keep out raccoons and other strong predators. I have a place on my coop where either a big raccoon or a strong dog *almost* got through the 1/2" hardware cloth.
Hm. What would you recommend then? A combination of some kind of fencing a hardware cloth? And what about for either a skirt saying the edge or possibly under the whole dirt floor using hardware cloth? I really hate mice/voles, etc and want to keep them out as much as possible. I figure if I put the hardware cloth up the edges of the coop a bit and then covering the bottom with more dirt, bedding, etc on top then it will prevent anything digging up into the coop. Also not sure we have raccoons here. I have never seen one in my life, haha. I know we have coyotes and foxes in the area though. And my puppy who loves eating birds and is not yet trained enough to leave the chickens alone!

Hm. What would you recommend then? A combination of some kind of fencing a hardware cloth? And what about for either a skirt saying the edge or possibly under the whole dirt floor using hardware cloth? I really hate mice/voles, etc and want to keep them out as much as possible. I figure if I put the hardware cloth up the edges of the coop a bit and then covering the bottom with more dirt, bedding, etc on top then it will prevent anything digging up into the coop. Also not sure we have raccoons here. I have never seen one in my life, haha. I know we have coyotes and foxes in the area though. And my puppy who loves eating birds and is not yet trained enough to leave the chickens alone!

I can't make recommendations in re: mice because I've never had a mouse problem.

My new coop is going to be completely covered in 1/2" hardware cloth and have an anti-digging skirt of 1/2" hardware cloth.

I pity the mouse that gets into my chicken run during the daytime. I've noticed that I have mole tunnels everywhere in the yard EXCEPT in the chicken run.

Of course it's easier for me being thousands of miles away. But, I'm thinking of virtually no dismantling. ... just remove that door in the front of the picture. Add a wall part ways in. Hardware cloth on the top, closed off on the bottom (wood / hardipanel / etc). Use @Chuckie chicken 's idea for the window in the back. Looks like that wooden shelf in the back can be your nesting box!

View attachment 2724263
I just realized my husband only has to frame out part of the shed if we put all the windows in one half and put up a wall of some sort like you suggest. But I'll leave the big door and put the nesting boxes in the middle wall so that I can go inside the big door on this side to access the eggs and not have to try and build access for that outside. I think it will be much more pleasant in the winter/rain/wind to be able to go in, shut the door, and then collect the eggs from there. And not have chickens flying around me either. It'll be easier to send the kids in to do it that way too. 😅

Window screens won't keep any predators out! You will need hardware cloth, at least.
Young mice can get through 1/2" hardware cloth, but only when very young. As near adults, they can't. Rats and weasels are a much bigger issue, and 1/2" will keep them out.
Here we added 2"x 4" woven wire across the lower 4' of our open sides over the hardware cloth. It's attached to the framing with fencing staples, then 1"x 4" boards are screwed into the framing over all of it.
IMG_0224.JPG

In winter, we add two layers of sheet vinyl , leaving a foot at least at the top open for ventilation.
IMG_0620.JPG
View attachment 2724825

I am new to chicken keeping. I hatched my first 15 chicks 3 weeks ago! All are healthy and GROWING! And surprise, surprise, my husband and I are those people who hatched the chicks and thought we would have plenty of time to build a coop. 🤣 But with the extreme lumber prices right now my dream wood coop is so far looking like it will cost $2700 not including any insulation or the hardware cloth and run! That's just the lumber for framing, flooring and roofing. Hubby is not going for that....

So we have a couple options. One is buy a plastic Costco shed, still a bit pricey as we would need to add ventilation, windows, insulation, etc and then I don't think it would be quite as big as I'm hoping for. (Most are 8x8 or 7x9) I currently have 15 chicks (about 3-5 I think are going to be roosters based on my amateur feather sexing, so I could be wrong) But of course want to leave room for chicken math!

Our next option is a big metal shed we that was on the property when we bought it... The issues with this are:
1) the floor is rotting out in some places and will need to be ripped out. It's on top of some big steel pipes to keep it off the ground. But I'm trying to figure out if we should try and replace the floor or block off the gap around the edge with wood and hardware cloth and have a dirt floor. I'm hoping to do deep litter so I like the idea of the dirt floor. But wondering thoughts on how the might work in metal and with the raised situation.
2) We live in AB, Canada where it gets cold in the winter. It doesn't usually stay there for long, but we definitely have cold snaps where it gets down to -40°. How would you suggest is the best way to insulate a metal coop? Would I need heat or would adequate insulation and ventilation be enough? Would the roof need insulating as well? I'm not too worried about summer heat as the shed is in a treed/shady area and I also plan on adding windows and a full sliding glass patio door to the side. I'm hoping that will also help heat the coop in the winter when the leaves are gone.

3) The shed is 24x8 feet. So it is definitely big enough for chicken math, separating part of it for feed storage, eventually adding ducks to one side, etc... Lots of options. I'm just wondering, for the time being with what will likely be 12 ish chickens by winter, will a coop that big stay warm enough with that few chickens?
The picture of the shed shows how big it is and it clearly needs a lot of work. It has a few dead mice in it which instantly gives me the heeby jeebies. 😬
And as you can see, my chicks are fast outgrowing their brooder. I made them a temporary outdoor chicken tractor that I bring them out to on nice days. But on rainy days like it has been all week, they all fly out every time I open the brooder and then they explore the room and poop all over the floor 😅 Needless to say, we really need to convert or build a coop ASAP.
That shed looks really nice. The wood floor looks great and I am just wondering, if you take that all out could you save any boards that are not rotted to use for your run frame building, window and door trim, partitioning, and other misc. where wood is needed?
I would recycle any wood I could salvage.
I would not have a dirt floor. I have no idea how much composite decking is...You know that plastic-y stuff people use instead of wood? If it is cheaper than wood, maybe you could put in a floor of that (smooth side up). It would be easy to sweep and clean or hose when needed...
I personally would not go for a glass slider in a coop. I would definitely run electricity to the coop. You will be so happy you did.

The primary purpose for cutting holes in your building should be to provide ventilation, which you will need year round. Awnings or shutters will be for less than 5% of the time when there's a storm.

As deeply as it would pain me to not use something I got for free, it's got to be the right application. If you do use the windows, the one that opens will still need hardware cloth to be left open at night. Your chickens will appreciate and benefit from the light windows provide, but they will benefit more if it comes through hardware cloth instead of glass.
Chuckie, I agree. Hubby made separate removable interior window screens using hardware cloth that attach to the windows inside the coops with wooden turnbuckles, are painted like the coop interior and go over the reg. window screen. These stay on all summer and are removed when we close the windows for winter. (We have the necessary coop ventilation.) Never rely on only reg. window screening; hardware cloth is a must.

Back
Top Bottom