Big Nesting Boxes for Little Bantams?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jemmerson, Nov 7, 2010.

1. jemmerson

jemmerson Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2010
    OK, so I think I know the answer to this one but just want to make sure before I buy nesting boxes. I have 4 bantams but 10 other larger chickens and to conserve $$$ I thought it would just be more practical to go with a set of the large 14" boxes so that everyone could fit. This shouldn't be aproblem, right? I would think the little ones would use them too. What do you think or have experienced?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I think that would be fine, but I sure wouldn't spend a lot of money on nesting boxes. You can use anything lying around, or scrounge some 5 gallon buckets or cardboard boxes. You probably need no more than 3. I like to give them more than one type as different birds have different preferences. I have chickens that prefer a kitty litter pan on the floor, a deep plastic container, a wooden nest box up high off the floor, and a board leaned against the wall of the coop on the floor, making sort of half a teepee.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I have one bantam in with my LF brahmas and she uses the same boxes that the big girls do. I use extra large kitty litter boxes as my nestboxes.
    ETA: The boxes are the covered kind. I used to have some open boxes too, but found the girls preferred the covered ones. I finally just took the open boxes out.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by