1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Big Nesting Boxes for Little Bantams?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jemmerson, Nov 7, 2010.

1. jemmerson

jemmerson Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2010
    OK, so I think I know the answer to this one but just want to make sure before I buy nesting boxes. I have 4 bantams but 10 other larger chickens and to conserve $$$ I thought it would just be more practical to go with a set of the large 14" boxes so that everyone could fit. This shouldn't be aproblem, right? I would think the little ones would use them too. What do you think or have experienced?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I think that would be fine, but I sure wouldn't spend a lot of money on nesting boxes. You can use anything lying around, or scrounge some 5 gallon buckets or cardboard boxes. You probably need no more than 3. I like to give them more than one type as different birds have different preferences. I have chickens that prefer a kitty litter pan on the floor, a deep plastic container, a wooden nest box up high off the floor, and a board leaned against the wall of the coop on the floor, making sort of half a teepee.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I have one bantam in with my LF brahmas and she uses the same boxes that the big girls do. I use extra large kitty litter boxes as my nestboxes.
    ETA: The boxes are the covered kind. I used to have some open boxes too, but found the girls preferred the covered ones. I finally just took the open boxes out.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by