Big news in TEXAS this week!

Pics
I have no idea if there's any validity to this, but when my ex and I were buying a house in a new neighborhood that had a list of HOA requirements (no cost to the HOA, though), we asked the Realtor (who was also one of the investors in this neighborhood) what would happen if someone in the neighborhood broke the "rules." He said that if no one complained, after a certain period of time, it would make that rule null and void. If you've had chickens for 5 years and no one has complained until now, maybe there's some loophole there.
This point is made in that book I mentioned above.

I would try for therapy pet. I work with someone who's daughter just started college ( University of Houston) and she had a doctors note so she could have a dog in her dorm room as a therapy pet. This kid needs therapy like I need a hole in my head so as long as you can get a doctor to write it I would try. If one doctor says no go to a different one Good luck I hope it works for you. Come to think of it we could probably all use therapy now days Cluck Cluck

I can't stand this idea of claiming therapy animals just to get around laws, regulations, restrictions etc.
Its a slap in the face to anyone who really needs a therapy animal.
Just like that girl that just wants a dog at school. I've seen people do it so they can take their purse pooches into stores and restaurants. Others that want exotic pets that aren't allowed where they're at.
Its real simple if you want chickens or any other animal then live where you're allowed to have them. If you want to live some place that has all these rules and restrictions then live there and follow them.
If you can't do either then break the rules and take the consequences if or when you're caught.

I can't stand this idea of claiming therapy animals just to get around laws, regulations, restrictions etc.
Its a slap in the face to anyone who really needs a therapy animal.
Just like that girl that just wants a dog at school. I've seen people do it so they can take their purse pooches into stores and restaurants. Others that want exotic pets that aren't allowed where they're at.
Its real simple if you want chickens or any other animal then live where you're allowed to have them. If you want to live some place that has all these rules and restrictions then live there and follow them.
If you can't do either then break the rules and take the consequences if or when you're caught.
Good point but if it can be done - no harm. No different than all the rich people taking advantage of tax loop holes while I'm here clipping coupons.
Good luck....if there ever was a time to need therapy it would be now with all the mess going on in the news. I say go for it and enjoy those fresh eggs and bringing a little bit of a farm to the city :)

IMG_7256.JPG Totally forgot to post this letter regarding sb1620. Our reps only know what people want if we tell them. Don't hesitate to email message them just to remind them we want this type of bill to pass. People are quick to voice if they don't like something. We need to make sure they know when we like something. Not too many folks will call just say " hey I thought I'd tell you I love chickens" so we have to make sure we do. My rep doesn't sound too thrilled with chickens. Maybe I'll start taking her fresh eggs!

Wow...how time flies.
There is fresh meat in Austin now and they are already presenting their bills.

Please join me in writing all the senators to see if we can find someone willing to present the backyard chicken bill again. Van Taylor was our guy last time but he is moving on to Washington.

Guess what everybody? It is time for a new Texas legislative session and I have great news. Texas House Member - Philip Cortez has filed HB 276 today 11/14/22.
The bill reads: Relating to the regulation by a municipality or property owners' association of food production on single-family residential lots.

I wrote all the senators last night asking them to file the bill again (today was the first day they could file their bills) and Senator John Whitmire wrote back this:
Thank you for your email and your support of backyard chicken legislation. Today was the first day of bill filing and Representative Cortez has filed HB 276 to prohibit municipalities from adopting ordinances that prohibit raising or keeping 6 or fewer domestic fowl. I am sure companion legislation will also be filed in the Senate.

I support the legislation and appreciate your advocacy on this issue. Your voice matters.

Yippee! The way it is worded this time sounds like it covers the HOA issue that everybody was hoping for.
Please join me in following the steps of this bill once everybody is in session and lets all email the senators, representatives and committee members when the bill is up for consideration to make sure it will finally get all the way through this time. Cluck Cluck

Update from yesterday....Senator Hall will be re introducing the bill as well.
His office sent the draft if anyone would like to read it. See attached.
Now we will have both the house and the senate with companion bills so hopefully having them in both chambers will get it moving quicker.

Attachments

• Backyard Chicken Bill by Senator Hall.pdf
    107.6 KB · Views: 3
March 2023 New News!!!

SB 326, relating to the keeping and raising of chickens, has been scheduled for a hearing in the Local Government Committee for Monday (3/27/23). If you would be interested in testifying during public testimony the hearing is scheduled for 11 a.m. in E1.028 of the Capitol.

We can thank the Honorable Senator Bob Hall for this legislation

Back
Top Bottom