BIG PROJECT breeding calculator

Should there be a breed calculator on byc?

• yes, its helpful

Votes: 94 97.9%
  • no, its a waste of time

Votes: 2 2.1%

• Total voters
I am in favor of this idea, with a few modifications.

I don't think it should be for crossing breeds. Mutts are too unpredictable in what body type, color, etc. they will express because of the mix of genetics. However, I think a color calculator would be very useful.

the chicken calculator is helpful, a good learning tool, and really fun to play around with when your bored, but I do think it needs some refinement... better illustrations, or even photos( like on the duck version), of colors... the little icons at times leave a lot to the imagination... and not everybody understands genetics(the advanced genetics stuff on the calculator is a little imposing to the uninitiated, or even to those like me with only a basic understanding of genetics), so having the genotype and specific gene selection in an "advanced" mode, and a "basic", phenotype only mode for those who find that a little daunting.... the basic mode might realistically only be good for one, maybe two generations depending on the crosses, but it would be less "scary" to some people...
omg this is so true! I tried to usethat calculator, and got totally overwhelmed. The fact is, that it's usually the newbies like me that need help with the crosses, the more experienced already know, for the most part. So YES PLEASE a more simple, and possibly more basic, chicken calculator would be wonderful.

A more basic calculator would be great! The Dutch one IS daunting! I have played with it, but there are so many genes and types I don't know which is which!

yea we should make one more user friendly and if possible include the temprement of the offspring

Quote:

I agree. Why make something that already exists? Why does it matter that it shows up in several different languages? Choose your language and follow it. Just play with it for awhile. It is not so daunting with practice.

This would be an undertaking that could only be done by a genetics expert, not just any BYC member.

Quote:
This is "genetics," .... not a personality calculator.

Is it just me or do genetics impact upon temprement lol the funny thing is u specified exactly why we need one with.the other calculator u need to be an expert ad u said lol and a lot of byc members aren't genetics experts so a user friendly version would help the general community so why not

Hi,

Can I help?
The idea of real chicken color pictures and SOP names would indeed be a lot of work.
Crude as it is the chicken calculator already needs 800+ pictures!

I could provide the genetics engine etc...

How would the information be entered and what would the desired output be?

Also if one was on byc there would be easier acces. Al because the current.dutch one is not even known to byc community its should be here on the websitealso this would become another Google search result for this website which would allow for.even.more people to join byc
Wrong the genetic calculator is know to a lot of the BYC members. They might not post about it but they know about this.
Hi,

Can I help?
The idea of real chicken color pictures and SOP names would indeed be a lot of work.

I see it's written in JS. It would be nice and easy to work with.

Hi,

Can I help?

I get a lot of use/entertainment out of the Chicken Calculator and newer Chicken Cross Breeds Calculator, but have run into a few roadblocks.
I would be happy to participate in any "consumer testing".

Back
Top Bottom