BIG PROJECT breeding calculator

Should there be a breed calculator on byc?

• yes, its helpful

Votes: 94 97.9%
  • no, its a waste of time

Votes: 2 2.1%

• Total voters
Well, I would imagine user error and lack of software updates are going to be my biggest "contributions"!
If I can turn my piles of "to do" into "tada!" I will gladly take the calculators for a spin and make notes =)

Okay we too have been confused by the "Chicken Calculator". As part of our daughter's extra-curricular efforts, we will be unraveling the meaning of the chicken calculator little by little. I was going to start a thread, but perhaps this would be the best one. We will be posting our findings (mind you, she is 12) as we are able to understand them. She just finished the basic biology class study on genetics, cell division, and DNA. We have a friend who does genetic profiling who is going to help us & some books that were recommended. We would love to include all those interested in our little learning / science experiment. However, I don't know if it is the answer to what you are wanting out of this thread. Let me know if we are in the right spot or if we should jaunt off on our own.

Have a great day!
Chicken Tenders

Standby for questions.
The chicken calculator was intended to be a learning tool.
One shortcoming of genetic textbooks is that they ignore a lot of gene interactions.
In the calculator these hiats/gaps would show, simply by choosing the genes combinations.
There was a lot of work involved... ;)

I love using the chicken calculator, not that I've had a chance to take it for a spin lately.
I marvel at the variables that are available and the offspring that it can represent.

Sometimes its the little details that are difficult to sort out, like I have a rooster of unknown parentage.
His phenotype is black breasted red (I think?) with a crow wing, and he has spangled lower chest/legs (black tips, I think that is correct).
I'm not sure if the way I input the information is an accurate reflection of what I am seeing, and there's no way to figure that out from the little pictures.

I've tried to read up on it, and I come up with descriptions like "wildtype" and I wonder if that is what his female counterpart should be. And then I find a description that ties to breeds that don't look wildtype, such as a Black Copper Marans. I'm going to try hatching some eggs to see if that sheds any light on his genotype, but I'm wondering what would be a suitable hen type to sort that out.

That was my first rooster, unexpected of course. Since then I have been able to choose breed specific roosters. But this unknown rooster has been terrific in so many ways.

i also use the chicken calculator and it would be nice if BYC had their own chicken calculator that was easier to understand, could be easily switched to a different language, difficulty (basic, complicated, etc...) and included egg color, crests, muffs, beards, vulture hocks, feathered feet, tail type, bird size, comb type, feather type (normal, frizzled, down/silkie), skin color , usage (layer, broiler, ornamental, dual purpose), breed, climate tolerance, broodiness, egg productivity, and egg size as well as color genetics. this would be nice to have and convenient to use, but think of how hard that would be to make! if someone made a thread that made people more aware of the current chicken calculator and helped others understand it more that would be helpfull, if there is one i don't know about it.

Back
Top Bottom