BIG question!!!!!

chickensioux

Songster
10 Years
Feb 12, 2009
Western North Carolina
I believe I am dealing with Marek's. I only have 2 new chicks that I hatched from a few eggs I bought. 4 weeks after hatching one chick started having trouble walking. Now lays with 1 leg forward, 1 leg back. I believe this to be Mareks now and not a vit. deficiency. Everything I read leads me to believe that this baby will not recover. I think I will have to cull. My question is:

What do I do with the healthy chick?

I have an entire flock of adult chickens (just pets). These babies have not been any where near the adult birds. I'm freaking out!!!!! I can't cull a healthy chick.......but probably a Mareks carrier.

You don't need to cull the healthy chick. The healthy chick will likely be more resistant to merricks as it has dealt with it without vaccination. It may be necessary to introduce the chick in the next few weeks to the rest of the flock to keep it company. You would want to watch it for a while to make sure it is healthy. Give a stuffed animal to have as a friend so it doesn't get too lonely in the mean time. It will likely peep quite a bit.

Wish the best for ya.

I'm not an expert, but this seems way too early for mareks to show up. I think your chick just had a leg problem. Sorry for your chick. Can you find another chick same age?

I'm not an expert, but this seems way too early for mareks to show up. I think your chick just had a leg problem. Sorry for your chick. Can you find another chick same age?
Mareks disease is a very common disease in chicken flocks that is highly contagious. Chicks between the ages of five to twenty four weeks of age are most susceptible to contracting this disease.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/4414613

Mine was 6 weeks when it started.

so sorry for your chick. have you done some research on Marek's? so sadly IF it was Marek's your other chick although healthy would be a carrier. I'm not sure if its Marek's your dealing with though. how old are your chicks?

Back
Top Bottom