Big Red is under the weather..any help would be appreciated..

firehog

Chirping
10 Years
Jul 27, 2009
..I actually verbally told her I was going on the Backyardchickens forum tonight to seek guidance...is this normal? Any one else here actually talk to their "daughters" like humans?

Here is the problem...Big Red, who got her name because she sports a beautiful red comb that would be the envy of a rooster, has become a loner and will not eat the grain scratch when I give it to all the girls.. She seems to have a white loose bowel movement and I actually took some soap and water to clean her which she did not care much for.. (Anyone know of something to spray on a hens butt to loosen dried on fecal matter on the feathers?) I actually had to use a pliers to crush the crusty poo so the rag could more easily clean without tugging too much on the feathers.

But what is unusual is her big comb, which was always erect has completely flopped over to the side. it is still red but limp. She does not eat much but still will eat grapes and loves worms so I have been digging in the yard every day for worms which she now expects everytime I walk into the coop or their outdoor area.

I have never treated the chickens for worms so if this is a possibility, what should I get to kill any possible worms? Is this medicine that you rub on their skin or feed them with eyedrops?

Please help me help Big Red get back to good health. I lost 2 hens due to internal egg laying over the last year and still am sad over that and don't want to lose another one.. Thanks

COULD BE ANYTHING, EGG BINDING, MAYHAPS SHES JUST BROODY. IS SHE RUFFLING HER FEATHERS ALOT, DOES SHE MAKE A GROANING SOUND, DOES SHE DISSEPEAR ALOT? IF IT EGGBINDING THEN YOU GET A BOWL OF LUKE WARM WATER, KINDA DIP HER IN FOR ABOUT 15 MINS, AND WAIT FOR HER EGGS TO PASS. IF IT IS WORMS THAN GO TO YOUR LOCAL FEED STORE AND TELL THEM YOUR SITUATION AND THEY WILL TELL YOU WHAT TO DO. IF YOU NEED MORE HELP THAN SOMEONE MORE EXPIERIENCED WILL HELP YOU.

I don't think she is bound up, I felt her abdomen area and no lumps. i noticed her comb had some blue tinges in it this morning. it was a little chilly, lower 30's. She does not ruffle her feathers. I am going to treat for worms tomorrow and see if that stops the diarrhea at least.

Back
Top Bottom