Big red tumor

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by debducttape, Jun 1, 2017.

1. debducttape

debducttape Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2011
    I have a 3 year old barred rock hen that has this big, golf ball-sized tumor on her neck. It's bright red, (about the color of her comb) and held on with a tiny thread of skin. It flops around when she walks and kinda grosses me out. She's had it at least 6 months and it's getting progressively larger. She is still healthy and laying, so I haven't gotten to excited about it, but does anyone have any idea what it is?

2. AnneInTheBurbs

AnneInTheBurbs Overrun With Chickens

Sep 8, 2013
    Bucks County, Pa
    Can you take a picture so we can see what it looks like?

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Can you post a picture? Can you identify her crop? It sounds like you might be able to tie, band, or clamp off the tumor near the skin to cut off circulation to it. I would first rather see it. If a vet is available, and affordable, that would be good, but many don't see chickens.

casportpony and Wyorp Rock like this.
  4. debducttape

Apr 26, 2011
    I have thought about tying it off actually. Her crop looks totally normal. I will post a pic when I can.

5. debducttape

Apr 26, 2011
    This is a terrible picture of when it first showed up. It's a lot bigger now. Best I had on my phone.

6. AnneInTheBurbs

AnneInTheBurbs Overrun With Chickens

Sep 8, 2013
    Bucks County, Pa
    That is bizarre looking. I wish I could be of help, but I've never seen anything like that before. I would give tying I off a try though, if I saw it continuing to grow.

Wyorp Rock likes this.
  7. debducttape

Apr 26, 2011
    IMG_1099.JPG Here's a pic of it that I took last night.

8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Yes, I probably would use a small rubber band or tie it off with something. That is how they castrate some animals like pigs. Keep a close eye on it though--I would probably even crate her at first, just in case she she have a problem or pain. Tumors and cysts are very common in chickens.

Wyorp Rock likes this.
  9. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Be Happy! Read more. Premium Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by