Big red tumor

debducttape

Chirping
10 Years
Apr 26, 2011
I have a 3 year old barred rock hen that has this big, golf ball-sized tumor on her neck. It's bright red, (about the color of her comb) and held on with a tiny thread of skin. It flops around when she walks and kinda grosses me out. She's had it at least 6 months and it's getting progressively larger. She is still healthy and laying, so I haven't gotten to excited about it, but does anyone have any idea what it is?

I have a 3 year old barred rock hen that has this big, golf ball-sized tumor on her neck. It's bright red, (about the color of her comb) and held on with a tiny thread of skin. It flops around when she walks and kinda grosses me out. She's had it at least 6 months and it's getting progressively larger. She is still healthy and laying, so I haven't gotten to excited about it, but does anyone have any idea what it is?

Can you take a picture so we can see what it looks like?

Can you post a picture? Can you identify her crop? It sounds like you might be able to tie, band, or clamp off the tumor near the skin to cut off circulation to it. I would first rather see it. If a vet is available, and affordable, that would be good, but many don't see chickens.

I have thought about tying it off actually. Her crop looks totally normal. I will post a pic when I can.

This is a terrible picture of when it first showed up. It's a lot bigger now. Best I had on my phone.

IMG_1099.JPG
Here's a pic of it that I took last night.

Yes, I probably would use a small rubber band or tie it off with something. That is how they castrate some animals like pigs. Keep a close eye on it though--I would probably even crate her at first, just in case she she have a problem or pain. Tumors and cysts are very common in chickens.

Back
Top Bottom