Big... Scary...

SourRoses

Free Ranging
13 Years
Feb 2, 2011
Florida
COWS!!!!
hide.gif

Why am I scared of cows? I love all sorts of animals... love horses... but when I get out of the car at the barn I board my horse at... the bull is always close by (the parking area is open to the big pasture).. staring at me... with big cow eyes... they say something like "What did YOU have for dinner last night?? HUH?"
hide.gif

Please don't let the cows get me!!!!!!
hit.gif

So.. umm... If I happen to be so uncomfortable around cows... how on earth are we ever going to get a milk cow one day like we were thinking of?

I just don't think we would like goats milk as much.....
th.gif

Last edited:
You would like goats milk even better than cows milk. I think that the cow will get you, so play things safe and get a milking goat.
hugs.gif

I've always had a soft spot in my heart for cows. We used to have a Jersey cow that I bottle fed as a baby. She was so sweet, like the biggest puppy I've ever had. When my cousins would ride their horses, I would ride along.........on my cow! I sure do miss that old girl. RIP Nookie
hit.gif

I've had both and I enjoy my cow much more than I ever did my goats. I get alot more milk for the effort and it is cheaper to keep a cow than it was to keep goats. I was VERY intimidated by my cow when I first got her. Despite having worked with horses for years the cow scared me when I was up close and working with her. It didn't take a week for me to get over it though. I got to know her and she got to know me and we worked through it. I look at her like a good dog now. You'll love having a cow when it's time.

OT: howfunkyisurchicken, there is a folk artist here in SC who paints pictures known as Funky Chickens. I own three of his chickens and two other paintings by him. I love them! Your name made me think of him.

http://www.possumcounty.com/artists.php?page=view&pattern_id=5

fresh goat's milk is excellent, not at all goaty like you might expect (at least, that's how MY goat's milk is).
but if you really want a cow, get a jersey - they've got big soft liquid eyes and sweet faces that just say 'love me'.
I'm pretty sure jerseys aren't capable of thinking people might eat beef. so if you don't tell 'em, they'll never know.

the bull is always close by (the parking area is open to the big pasture).. staring at me...

He IS rather intimidating isn't he? Huge BULL! The owner's husband always pets him and hugs him around the neck as he goes by....but I don't trust him at all.
Don't worry Squishy I will get you a tazer k?
hugs.gif

They say the best cow ponies are the ones who are a little scared of the cows. Keeps them thinking and alert. Theory is the horses that look at a cow and yawn don't have the gift.

So maybe you will be a gifted and safe cow keeper because of your heightened alertness!

Quote:
Yep..Go Jersey! You gets lots and lots more cream with Jerseys than other cows too. I <3 my Jersey. Her name is Honey, but I usually call her Honey Bee.

Quote:
Cows don't say that! They're just wondering if you have anything tasty for them to munch on.
smile.png
Now bulls on the other hand, may be saying something terrible, but not cows.

If you get a milk cow in the future, get a milking Jersey. My sister was just like you -- deathly afraid of cows. Last year she went and bought a 4 year old Jersey with horns, and now she couldn't be happier. She LOVES Daisy to pieces. I suppose I must admit I love her too. Though I always pick on her and tell her she's absolutely terrible, all the while her looking at me with her beautiful soft brown eyes...
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom