Big size difference normal?

I❤fluffybutts

In the Brooder
Jun 18, 2017
So i have about 8 silverlaced wyandotte chicks. They are almost 6 weeks old. the majority are getting bigger and filling out. All except 1. He looks maybe a week older than the day we got him. Its feathering out some but not near like the others, and its literally a 3rd of the others size. Can chickens have runts? Could anything else be stunting the growth? or is it normal? Top Picture is one if the bigger sized ones, bottom is the runt lol
Screenshot_20170807-194811.png
Screenshot_20170807-194807.png

I believe you can definitely have a chicken "runt"! My flock consists of ten different breeds, and my one girl, Biddy the barnevelder, was always much smaller than the rest. I thought there was a problem at first. I checked for pasty butt, and impacted crop, and watched her for days. She ate, drank, pooped, slept and played just like the others. But she was TINY! The others had feathers, Biddy still sported down. The others were trying to fly, Biddy was lucky if she reached the roost perch. Today they are ten weeks old. Biddy has grown into a beautiful pullet, and she's still small, but not by that much. Just keep up the TLC and as long as there are no obvious ailments, and you may just have yourself a little runt :p

I believe you can definitely have a chicken "runt"! My flock consists of ten different breeds, and my one girl, Biddy the barnevelder, was always much smaller than the rest. I thought there was a problem at first. I checked for pasty butt, and impacted crop, and watched her for days. She ate, drank, pooped, slept and played just like the others. But she was TINY! The others had feathers, Biddy still sported down. The others were trying to fly, Biddy was lucky if she reached the roost perch. Today they are ten weeks old. Biddy has grown into a beautiful pullet, and she's still small, but not by that much. Just keep up the TLC and as long as there are no obvious ailments, and you may just have yourself a little runt :p
Well that makes me feel a lot better!! It acts just like the others, so I'll just go with it being a runt! I guess i just expected them to grow all at the same rate!

I wouldn't worry unless you have behavioral changes :) I noticed my Biddy lagged in development from week 2-5, and then she kind of caught up. She's still smaller than the others though.

Back
Top Bottom