Big sponge instead of humidity pads?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by crazzzymike13, Mar 6, 2014.

1. crazzzymike13

crazzzymike13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2007
    Texas
    I bought a sportsman cabinet incubator from a friend a while back ago. To boost the humidity on day 18 I really need the humidity pads that go in the water. Instead of the humidity pads would those big sponges from Walmart work? Is there a big difference?

2. R2elk

R2elk Overrun With Chickens

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    I got some really dense sponges from Menard's because they were really cheap and good for a lot of different uses. I tried them instead of the humidity pads and they did not work at all. They just wouldn't wick the water up like I thought they would. If the sponges that you are considering are a very porous and non-dense they might work but I never got around to getting any very porous sponges to try.

If those sponges are very dense, they will not work.

3. subhanalah

subhanalah Overrun With Chickens

Natural sea sponges are very absorbent and "fluffy".
    You can find them in most arts and crafts store.

They also have a LOT of exposed surface area. I think it would probably work great.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Can you bleach a sea sponge? If I spent the money on one, I'd want to use it over. I bought a cheap pack of sponges at the dollar store, and cut them into 1 - 2" strips and they worked great in my small home made incubator. I wired a pudding cup to the wire upright section that keeps the chicks away from the electronic stuff, stood the sponge (s) in the cup, and added water as needed with a syringe hooked to a piece of aquarium air line tubing. If you get the cheap ones, there's a cellulose one that wicks well, and then a plastic one that's more shiny that doesn't wick well at all.

5. subhanalah

subhanalah Overrun With Chickens

I wouldn't bleach even a regular sponge, but that's just me. I use tea tree oil and scalding hot water to disinfect mine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by