Big Tractors

5Chickens

Songster
12 Years
Dec 13, 2007
I was wondering how big can a tractor be. But still being able to pull it or push it? Show pictures also of your larger chicken tractors
smile.png

Go to my page and you will see ours. My dh built it on the fly and it is grand. The two of us move it every night after the girls go to bed.

25341_dsc00979.jpg
My tractor is on a boat trailer and pulled with a John Deer Tractor works great and coop is 7x10 with plenty of birds

Last edited:
What makes it a fail, beyond the large amount of weight at the front of the trailer?

The key is ensuring that the weight is as centered as possible over the wheels, so that it's not difficult to lift or manage.

But, I don't see it as a fail. Just real difficult to manage.
smile.png

I don't know if you'd consider ours a big tractor but I can role it around pretty easy by hand on flat ground and my truck moves it anywhere else.

4652698944_4f66ee9e61_z_d.jpg

4682024464_24417a99ae_z_d.jpg

Depends mainly on whether you have machinery to move it. I mean, 10x20 *buildings* can be built on skids, and pulled from place to place by a team of horses or a large (actual) tractor.

If you mean something to move by hand, though, 10x12 is about the biggest anyone does and still have it at all moveable, and what you get at that size is really only suited well to broilers and/or summer grow-out pens, not year-round accommodations of layers in a climate that gets winter; also what you get at that size is not very predatorproof at ALL, so you need to have the whole tractor in a pretty seriously predator-secure area (which few people have) or be prepared to lose batches of chickens sometimes.

If you mean year-round housing for layers in a climate that experiences wintertime, it is real real hard to build something for more than 4-6 birds *maximum* and even with that it'll be hard to move and they won't have lots of space.

GOod luck, have fun,

Pat

Back
Top Bottom