Big versus average

mikki717

My Drug of Choice- Chickens
11 Years
Dec 7, 2009
Hesperia, CA
Today I went and bought some fertile hatching eggs from a breeder for my broody Buff Orp. The hens in her coops were HUGE! The Orpingtons were at least twice the size of my current flock, feed store Orps, EE's and RIR.

I currently feed Layer pellets, and snacks in the form of left overs. They also get a weekly pile of grass clippings and leaves.

What am I doing wrong? My girls are healthy, but much smaller. What do you feed?

Were their birds breeder, or show birds, or even English Orpingtons? Big difference in size. I currently have both hatchery and breeder English Orpingtons I brooded and hatched this year. There's a huge difference between them. It has nothing to do with the feed, but breeding.

As far as feed I no longer feed layer and prefer to feed either a non medicated grower or an All Flock for the extra protein year round. The extra calcium needs are met by a separate bowl of oyster shells. Breeds like Orpingtons can take up to 2 years to fully mature and fill out.

Last edited:
What she said. Also, EE are on the small side compared to Orps. I think RIR may be a bit smaller too, especially if they are hatchery stock. Most RIR from hatcheries are production birds, and do not at all resemble the Heritage RIR, either in color, conformation or size.

Back
Top Bottom