Big Wave from South Central PA!!

Welcome to BYC.

Reading your first post about breed choices, I would suggest looking into breeds that lay the most eggs per bird if you are going to be limited in the amout of hens allowed.
I don't know about the other breeds that you listed but I do know that the Sussex are not the best layers. Plymoth Rocks have wonderful personalities and lay great.

Again, welcome.

welcome-byc.gif
from Schuylkill County, Pennsylvania!

Thanks so much for the welcomes!

Quote:
Well, poop.
I had read the the white and light variety of Sussex were good layers. Well, I read they laid more than Orpingtons and that Orpingtons were good layers.
I have to admit that my choice of Black Copper Marans has more to do with me thinking they are just beautiful than whether or not they're good producers. The feathered legs of the french standard are too fine.
tongue.png

They aren't the only beautiful chickens I've seen and I know there is a big difference between a pet and a show bird, but I still have much more to learn.

Our current egg supplier has Ameraucana, Cuckoo Marans, Orpingtons and some Red sex link. He has good things to say about his Ameraucanas, but they don't lay true which I think means they're actually EE, so that's what I picked up from TSC.

I guess I'll keep reading today until I can find some breeds good for us.

Quote:
Hello from Franklin County!

Quote:
Howdy, neighbor! (Two hours isn't so far!)
tongue.png

It's good to see all these Keystone folks!

Needsnewbrain, I have a cousin that lives in Norristown and you sound like you suffer from the same ailment I do!

Back
Top Bottom