Bigger Coop Please Help

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Rusty66211, Dec 25, 2009.

1. Rusty66211

Rusty66211 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2009
    I am looking to expand my flock to about 50 hens and am looking for a coop or shed that can be converted to fit them. Anyone have any ideas? Our coop right now is on My page and I was thinking about just using it and getting a smaller one for the feed and maybe a nursing coop.

2. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    The current coop is plenty big for 48-50 birds. I think your best bet is to give them run of the whole shed and build something else for the stuff occupying the other part of the coop/shed. You might be able to build a lean to onto the current coop for feed etc.

3. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

I agree with BirdBrain.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 25, 2009
  4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    You could put the feed in the horse shed!

5. Rusty66211

Rusty66211 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2009
    We have now added a 16 by 30 foot run in the back of the two sheds and as soon as I get home from work around 3 they all get to free range on our 5 acres until 5 pm. So I guess this coop will work . I was thinking of moving some of the stuff out to put the new babies in that spot until they are older and then I have a seperate 10 by 10 run that I was thinking of putting in a small coop for the new guys until they are old enough to be with the older ones.The two runs are connected so the new guys would here and see the others. I thought that might help get them used to each other.?. Which I have to figure out yet how and when to intergrate them. thanks for the input I just love the website youcan always find answers to your questions. thanks

6. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Your coop is just big enough for 50 chooks. I would add an 18" turbine vent to top of it for good measure as the gable vents look to be small for 50 birds. I did 1 sq ft full-time ventilation above the wall height for each 4 chooks. I have 6 sq ft full-time ventilation for my 24 chooks. No mildew, no fog on windows, nothing inside ever sweats, ever. I also have an additional 40 sq ft of variable ventilation via 4 windows on 3 walls. North wall has none. [​IMG]

If you have full length soffit ventilation then may be ok. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 26, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by