Bigger egg all of a sudden.

CKfarm22

Crowing
Jul 8, 2021
Central NJ
Hey y’all, my cream legbar hen has been laying for about 2 weeks now. Her eggs have been on the small size and then all of a sudden today she popped out this big ole egg! I was so surprised!
878B1CE0-5B0C-4330-B7A8-D38B4B5A0B4A.jpeg

New birds often need time for their plumbing to work out the kinks. As @aart said, could be a double yolk - while not common overall, they are something like 10x more likely to happen in the period immediately after a bird starts to lay. Typically, and on average, a bird will tend to lay smaller eggs at first, and then larger eggs more typical of the breed as they age and laying becomes more regular/less evidencing mistakes in the process.

New birds often need time for their plumbing to work out the kinks. As @aart said, could be a double yolk - while not common overall, they are something like 10x more likely to happen in the period immediately after a bird starts to lay. Typically, and on average, a bird will tend to lay smaller eggs at first, and then larger eggs more typical of the breed as they age and laying becomes more regular/less evidencing mistakes in the process.
Agreed! I find that higher production birds (RIR, RSL, etc.) tend to lay double yolkers when they first start out.

Thank you for telling me this, I knew a bigger egg was going to happen eventually i just didn’t expect it!

Back
Top Bottom