Bigger hens pecking smaller hens.

Chuckenman

Chirping
Jun 23, 2021
I have 4 hens, two of them are about 20 weeks and the remaining are about 16 weeks. The bigger ones stay together and the smaller ones stay together. The bigger ones peck the smaller ones whenever they see em. Its not like a small gentle peck its a violent aggresive one. The bigger ones stay latched to the head of the smaller hens and peck out a lot of feathers. Ive made a small partition in their coop keeping them seperated. How do i stop this?

Try the 'see and no touch' method for at least 2 weeks. Then free range them for a bit, while keeping a close eye on them to see their behaviours towards each other. While giving them lots of space to run to, if things get violent. Hopefully this will help. Good luck with them.
Ive tried this for a month, no luck. They still attack each other. Its gotten to the point where the smaller ones just run away at their sight.

I have 4 hens, two of them are about 20 weeks and the remaining are about 16 weeks. The bigger ones stay together and the smaller ones stay together. The bigger ones peck the smaller ones whenever they see em. Its not like a small gentle peck its a violent aggresive one. The bigger ones stay latched to the head of the smaller hens and peck out a lot of feathers. Ive made a small partition in their coop keeping them seperated. How do i stop this?
Try the 'see and no touch' method for at least 2 weeks. Then free range them for a bit, while keeping a close eye on them to see their behaviours towards each other. While giving them lots of space to run to, if things get violent. Hopefully this will help. Good luck with them.

Back
Top Bottom