Biggest chicken pet peeve!

hes taller than my brahma pullet!!!!!!!

My Silkie boy from breeding stock is quite large, and if you see Silkies in show, they are surprisingly big as well. It seems like a lot of people underestimate their size because they are considered a bantam, but they are one of the largest bantams in the standard. By Europe standards, where both bantam and large fowl are standardized, our Silkies in the U.S. are too big to be bantams, though still apparently not as big as their large fowl Silkies. Still, these aren't dainty little bitty bantams like people seem to think.

Last edited:
I have to think hard to find something that irritates me about my chickens. I HATE cleaning the coop, so that may be #1. However, currently it might be the wounds on my left hand and arm from that one black hen with the purple comb who pecks the sh!t out of me when trying to steal her eggs. She hits HARD!
(Adding to To-Do List: Put a pair of garden gloves in the coop cabinet!)
She was hatched last year and is a great layer. When her comb started turning purple, I was alarmed at first and thought she was sickly - but as the months wore on and the coloring deepened to almost deep blue, I realized it's just her coloring for some strange reason. She's as healthy as a horse, and bites like one, too. One of her chicks has a full black face, comb and wattles - I have absolutely NO idea where that coloring came from in the flock, as none of our chickens have black combs. She's an adorable little thing, and likes to snuggle with me. Here's to hoping she didn't inherit Mom's attitude!

I have to think hard to find something that irritates me about my chickens. I HATE cleaning the coop, so that may be #1. However, currently it might be the wounds on my left hand and arm from that one black hen with the purple comb who pecks the sh!t out of me when trying to steal her eggs. She hits HARD!
(Adding to To-Do List: Put a pair of garden gloves in the coop cabinet!)
She was hatched last year and is a great layer. When her comb started turning purple, I was alarmed at first and thought she was sickly - but as the months wore on and the coloring deepened to almost deep blue, I realized it's just her coloring for some strange reason. She's as healthy as a horse, and bites like one, too. One of her chicks has a full black face, comb and wattles - I have absolutely NO idea where that coloring came from in the flock, as none of our chickens have black combs. She's an adorable little thing, and likes to snuggle with me. Here's to hoping she didn't inherit Mom's attitude!
The dark face is a genetic little fun thing (I'm not sure if I'm allowed to say the nickname for it anymore though). My male carries it and so occasionally I'll get a hen with it from him.

As far as the topic of chicken pet peeves, one that comes to my mind thanks in part to its recentness is when my birds decide to fly into my head at full speed for no apparent reason. When it happened last month, I figured it was a one-time thing because it was an aggressive rooster who did it and I got rid of him. But then my little naked neck pullet did the same thing this morning because she got impatient for me to help her down from where she likes to perch for the night. :barnie I feel like I have a bullseye painted on my head or something!

The definition of mutt is a mixed breed animal, so by your own words here, Easter-eggers would be mutts.

But you're right, the most common Easter-eggers and the ones who the term was originally made for, hatchery 'Americaunas', are not technically mutts. They aren't half true Ameraucana, or really any percentage. The Ameraucana breed is actually more like a branch in the family tree that Easter-eggers belong to as well, having been bred out of the same stock as Easter-eggers decades ago. Your generic hatchery Easter-egger is simply its own thing, not a mix of breeds but the result of breeding Easter-egger to Easter-egger for generations without any other breeds necessarily coming into play.

These days, however, hatcheries have a plethora of other Easter-egger mixes who are, by bare definition, absolutely mutts. Cream Legbar mixes, true Ameraucana mixes, even Easter-eggers crossed to defined breeds to make a totally different kind of Easter-egger. It's insanity! The bottom line is, there really isn't any reason to be upset that someone is calling an Easter-egger a mutt when it really isn't that far from the truth.

Also, apologies, I understand that this is not the point of this thread, but I felt the need to explain as someone who has called Easter-eggers mutts and will probably continue to do so. 😅

They are though. That's like saying my mutt dog isn't a mutt because she has a great grandparent who was a red heeler despite having like 9 other breeds in her
Well we are all untitled to our own peeves. I just don't like it because as another person said EEs are a plan. Just like how people hate buffs for buff orps I hate mutt for EEs.

My biggest pet peeve is when people keep adding stuff to their chickens water all the time and wonder why their sick... Give them some plain water!
I give my chickens some stuff in the water sometimes bit always have a plain sorce available if they want. I use b-12, ACV, a feather supplement and other stuff sometimes. Mine are fine 🙂

Back
Top Bottom