Bikers and Chicks

Rocket Raley

Songster
12 Years
Jul 6, 2007
I was just wondering how many other bikers and ol ladies there are on the board.

When you go on rode trips, what do you do about your chicks?

I have been tied here for a while and keep missing my DH’s cross-country trips. and over night trips

I want to build feeders that will hold for a weekend or maybe a week or so. Also wateriers. I can get my teenager to collect eggs while we are gone. (But I won’t rely on her to feed and water them)

I need ideas. I miss riding with the DH, but I want my chicks taking care of.

I will be interested in the answers to your question, because we are looking into getting a bike very soon. Still, with the licencing laws here, I will not be able to go with DH for a year. My Dad has two bikes, and I am looking forward to some nice road trips with him. A little family bonding time. (I've been trying to get him to give us one, but no luck so far!!!HAHA!)
big_smile.png

Do you have a friendly neighbor who likes eggs?? When we go away I get my girlfriend to care for the chickens in exchange for all the eggs they lay while we are gone. It works out well and her daughter loves to come over to be with the chickens!!!

I'm adding the auto water bowls this week hubby is taking the week off since its bike week in Daytona. I usually can get my kids to feed them & collect eggs. I'm thinking of getting several 50# feeders this year. We are taking a family trip so everyone will be gone. Then get a friend to check on them every couple days.
Hubby just came back from his trip to Daytona today. I didn't go maybe at the end of the week that's when the sales are all on and stuff is cheap!

With the nice weather we've been having we're getting antsy to get on the bike as well. My SO has a '05 HD Peace Officer Special Ed. Fat Boy. We plan to squeeze in a few day trips when his vacation starts this week. Once we have chicks, we (or at least I) will be tied down more; but actually we already are since we've added another dog and a goat to the gang. Before the big rallies that we plan to attend we will also be looking into giant feeders/waterers and asking around for someone to check on things while we're gone. I'm hoping the farmer that leases our pastureland will be inclined to do it for us. To attend Daytona and do some Florida visiting last year we had to put our (then) one dog and one cat at the vet's for 2 weeks; at a cost of over $200! I can't imagine we'll ever do that again, even if I could talk the vet into taking 2 dogs, a cat, a billy goat, and 23 chickens!

we have someone who will stop by and check on them,,,,
also,,dog walkers etc,,,in your area might be interested in doing that sort of thing also,,,,

Currently I have
food8.JPG
in my biggest coop and they eat all of it everyday. For their water I have
419YIg0Z0fL__AA280_.jpg
but it only last for 2 days.

I want to get / build feeders that can be fill from the outside and have the eggs collected from the outside.
Here is how I did their water.
water1.JPG

I think I might build a feeder like the one on https://www.backyardchickens.com/chicken_feeder.php

and
on one of ya'lls pages, that I can't find again. uses a 55 gallon drum to water with.
Anyone know the addy on that? I want to look at it again.

Any of ya'll have pics of your feeders?

well.....
my bike is still in production ...again...we usually dont go anywhere. LOL, I work for an airline and I still dont go anywhere

heres my sportster project as of 2 days ago
engine1.jpg

frame1.jpg

Cool, quadcam79 . I'm sure your going to have a lot of fun once it's all together.

Here is my DH, leaving here last Friday. He's in Florida.
You notice I'm not on the back
sad.png

I'm building feeders
cool.png

IMG00005small.JPG

frow.gif
Ol lady here!
frow.gif

Fortunately, we've only been doing local, day-rides since we've only had our scoot for a few months so I didn't have to worry about someone else caring for the chickens or rabbits.

Since the wreck and not being able to use my right hand, at all, I'd really like to see us switch over to automatic waterers for all the critters. We use 2 liter soda bottles for the bunnies and have the chickens set up with one 5 gallon galvanized waterer and three, 1.5 gallon waterers.

We have two, 3 pound galvanized feeders that will feed for days on end. We also have two, trust-worthy neighbors who would be more than happy to collect eggs.

We'd planned on a local, weekend trip to the Junebug Boogie rally this summer, not sure if we're going now or not...

Dawn

P.S.

quadcam...good luck with your Sporty project, we LOVE ours!

Rocket Raley...that is one sweeeet ride ya'll have there!

Back
Top Bottom