ChickaChicka1

Songster
Feb 16, 2024
CO
Hi there! This is my first time incubating eggs, so I don't really know what to be looking for. On March 2nd, I set 7 Barred Plymouth Rock eggs (they are shipped eggs I got from Meyer Hatchery) in the incubator around 1pm, which makes today day 21. 5 eggs made it to lockdown.

The temperature has been 99.5°F and no more than 100.5°F the whole time, and the humidity around 43% to 55% the first 18 days. Since lockdown, the humidity has been 62% to 68%. (I have been just relying on the incubators temperature and humidity though... I never calibrated it so maybe that's the problem??) I candled them on days 7, 14, and 18. Two were not developing, so I tossed them right before lockdown. The rest seemed to be developing fine though.

I think I heard a couple faint peeps this morning, but there's been no pipping. I've been trying to "candle" them as best as I can through the plastic of the incubator with a bright headlamp today since I don't want to take them out of the incubator. It seems like there's an intact large air sac in all of the ones I can see inside of, but on the side instead of the end. I'm not sure what that means though, besides that they haven't internally pipped yet. (Pics attached)

I'm also *slightly* stressed since we're leaving on a trip for a week on Tuesday, so I'm hoping they'll hatch before then. (AHHH I know it's bad timing, but the egg order was postponed a week, and I didn't want to throw them away once I got them so I set them anyways.) I have someone to watch the future chicks while we're gone, but if they haven't hatched before then...

Anyways, thank you so much for your help!! I'm hoping they'll all hatch soon into healthy, strong chicks.

PICTURES BELOW - Edited photos: Contrast 100%

Attachments

• egg candle.jpg
    egg candle.jpg
    413.7 KB · Views: 115
  • egg candle 2.jpg
    egg candle 2.jpg
    434.5 KB · Views: 47
  • egg 3.jpg
    egg 3.jpg
    419.7 KB · Views: 46
  • egg 2.jpg
    egg 2.jpg
    434.5 KB · Views: 65
Please help! There's still no pips or movements this morning. What should I do?
There isn't anything you can do but wait. This isn't so unusual yet. Your incubator could have been say .5 degrees low the whole 21 days which would delay them slightly.

Just an idea that before you set eggs again, get yourself a trustworthy thermometer/hygrometer. There are cheap ones that are fine, and more expensive ones you can track on your phone. Regardless, you need to know what your temperature is at as most aren't right on. I have two expensive Brinseas, neither are correct.

It sounds like you have everything right though so I'm guessing you should have chicks tonight!

Oh ok, figured I'd throw it out there since that's exactly what I did when I marked my calendar on my first hatch. I can even push a button on my incubator to give me the count, but I was fixed on that calendar and didn't check that until someone pointed it out to me😆

There isn't anything you can do but wait. This isn't so unusual yet. Your incubator could have been say .5 degrees low the whole 21 days which would delay them slightly.

Just an idea that before you set eggs again, get yourself a trustworthy thermometer/hygrometer. There are cheap ones that are fine, and more expensive ones you can track on your phone. Regardless, you need to know what your temperature is at as most aren't right on. I have two expensive Brinseas, neither are correct.

It sounds like you have everything right though so I'm guessing you should have chicks tonight!
Thank you so much for your help and reassurance. I'll definitely use a thermometer/hygrometer next time!

Are you sure you're counting right? Day one isn't when you set them. If you set them at 6:00 p.m. tonight day one is 6:00 p.m. tomorrow night.
Poster gave date and time incubation started today is day 22.

Yep! Thank you for checking though!

Thank you so much for your help and reassurance. I'll definitely use a thermometer/hygrometer next time!

Yep! Thank you for checking though!
I always thought it was fun to track mine by writing the dates on these. But my first time I counted day one as the day I set them. Now I know to put tomorrow's date there lol

Attachments

• 17113001660017481235347197173140.jpg
    17113001660017481235347197173140.jpg
    224.8 KB · Views: 62

Back
Top Bottom