When to call my hatch done?

fangedknight

Crowing
7 Years
Feb 28, 2017
Schuylkill County , Pennsylvania
Hey all,

It's my first hatch in a while and thankfully I'm remembering things as I go. So far it's been pretty successful. I set 24 Eggs on March 21st. Day 7 candling was March 28th, had 4 duds which brought it down to 20 eggs. Day 14 candling on April 4th confirmed 2 more duds which brought me to Day 18 on April 8th with 18 eggs all alive and moving like it was a dance party.

Well, these little ones decided they were going to wait till the last possible second to start hatching. So here I was on Day 21 on April 11th dealing with chicks coming out as slow as Molasses in the middle of January. Thankfully though throughout the last couple of days, I've successfully had 11 hatch that are in the brooder. I did have 1 hatch right away that didn't make it, and I had a chick that pipped out the side of the shell and missed the air cell completely that I was hoping would be able to make it out on their own, but unfortunately, I found them this morning dead.

There were 5 eggs left in the incubator, I've candled them all and there were 2 that absolutely quit that I removed. And now I'm down to the final there. Here's where my question comes in. In these final three: It's Day 25 for them, I can see the chick, nobody's pipped internally, and there's absolutely no movement.

I wonder if these three also quit/didn't make it and it's time to unplug the incubator and get it cleaned and prepped for the next set of eggs? (I, unfortunately, can't get pictures of the eggs being candled because I need two hands to do it and I'm home alone till this evening.)

You could slowly open up the aircell to see if they’re alive. If you see any signs of life, stop and then proceed as if it’s an assisted hatch. Do you see their beaks in the air cell?

You could slowly open up the aircell to see if they’re alive. If you see any signs of life, stop and then proceed as if it’s an assisted hatch. Do you see their beaks in the air cell?
I did think about that, but the one thing that worries me is in at least one or two of the eggs, the only movement I saw was what looked to be like very small air bubbles moving around in the fluid. Which makes me worried that these eggs might be close to exploding... though I haven't seen any cracks or fluid leaks yet.

I did think about that, but the one thing that worries me is in at least one or two of the eggs, the only movement I saw was what looked to be like very small air bubbles moving around in the fluid. Which makes me worried that these eggs might be close to exploding... though I haven't seen any cracks or fluid leaks yet.
I would be scared too😅 I have to say I have only opened eggs that I knew had been alive very recently

Back
Top Bottom