1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

bile sack

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by dadof4, Oct 8, 2008.

1. dadof4

dadof4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2008
    mississippi
    I was processing my last roo yesterday. I'm always real paranoid about the bile sack busting, so when I pulled it out I checked it and it was real small. This roo was about 14 weeks and about 14-15 pounds live weight. He was food restricted for about thirty hours(took me a little longer to get started). I mean if the bile sack had busted, I would have been able to tell right? There didn't seem to be any inside of it and I rinsed it out when I was done. I just don't want anyone to get sick. Thanks ya'll.

2. PoultryScienceAggie

PoultryScienceAggie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2008
    College Station, TX
    You would definatly be able to tell if it busted. They are usually pretty small any ways. If it would have busted ii would stink really bad.

3. Cason

Cason Chillin' With My Peeps

Yeah, you'd know it [​IMG] That's a large rooster- what breed was he?

4. Poler

Poler Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2008
    Albuquerque, NM
    ya, if the bile sack busted... then you'd have this green nasty fluid all over the place.

5. Picky Chicky

Picky Chicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    Holly Grove, VA
    Not to be gross, but does anyone have a picture of what it looks like?

6. dadof4

Aug 30, 2008
    mississippi
    Quote:He was a Cornish X. I processed the rest at 8, 9 and 10 weeks. I left him to keep a hen company for a few weeks. Plus I wanted to see how big he'd get. I stoped power feeding him when I processed the others. I only fed him in the morning and he could free-range in the tractor. I must say he had no personality at all. Look forward to my next batch of meaties.

7. dadof4

Aug 30, 2008
    mississippi
    Quote:I've heard that, but it seems like the others were much larger and really stood out. This one was a lot smaller. No funkieness though. Looks like it will be chicken tonight.

8. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    I've broken a few, the fluid is a vivid green to green-blue, but I never noticed any smell. Maybe because there was already plenty of stench from gutting to mask it.

It won't ruin the whole chicken, just trim off the bit it spills on. When I break one, it's usually the liver it spills on. Gall fluid is very bitter, but not toxic or anything. It's just a digestive fluid, it's not poo or anything like that. This is fluid that mixes with the food further down the digestive tract, to help break it down.

So when you eventually do break one, no need to panic. Only a minor nuisance.

9. carress

carress Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    Orange county NY
    Oh- I was told that they were poisonous...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by