BILE

steward

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 10, 2009
I'm really new to this meat bird thing, we are getting ready to process our first birds. How bad is it if you cut the bile sac on the liver? Can anything be done about it? Is the whole bird a loss ? Can it be washed off? Any input would be great. Thanks.

i have done 6 so far, my first time and have not broken one yet. i think it is harder than one thinks to break the guts and the gallbladder in there! Thank gooness. ErinM

There's virtually no chance of cutting it, unless you're gutting your birds a way I'm not familiar with. There is a chance of rupturing it when you pull the gut-wad out of the opening, however, I've done a ton of birds, and never had one break. When you reach your hand it, be gentle- don't squeeze too hard. But, you shouldn't have to worry too much.

It should be out of the bird before you mess with it but if you get any on the meat then that meat most be cut off & thrown away. If anyone figers out a way to wash it off let me know. Just don't hold it over the bird while you are cutting it off.

I just hold the liver over the gut-bucket while I cut loose the gall bladder. That way if I break it, it'll just ruin the liver.

If you get some on the skin of the chicken, you can wipe it off with a paper towel, and then just rinse it well. If you get some on a cut piece of meat, (that it can soak into) just trim off the bit it spilled on. It'll be easy to see, it'll be green.

Back
Top Bottom