Bill peeling

BelovedBirds

Crossing the Road
Nov 8, 2021
England
I know it's normal for ducks to shed the outer layer of their bills, and some peeling is pretty normal, but I just want to check this is okay and see if there's anything I could do to make it more comfortable?
My girlie, Sprightly, must have scraped her bill while it was a bit peely, and left a soft, red bit underneath looking sore (definitely not a normal little bump, the other layer has scraped away). Is there anything I could apply to the area to make her more comfortable?
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG-20220522-WA0007.jpg
    IMG-20220522-WA0007.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 25
You could put some triple antibiotic ointment or equivalent being your in the UK only problem anything you apply she'll probably promptly wash off. Put some ACV into their drinking water 1 Tab per gal. it doesn't sting at the amount and can help kill some bacteria and help to heal.

You could put some triple antibiotic ointment or equivalent being your in the UK only problem anything you apply she'll probably promptly wash off. Put some ACV into their drinking water 1 Tab per gal. it doesn't sting at the amount and can help kill some bacteria and help to heal.
okay, will do, thank you!

You could clean the bill -- my preference is for hydrogen peroxide but saline is also good. Then cover with liquid skin/new skin [called liquid bandage in the USA]

But its not relaly necessary.

WHen my drakes were all hormonal and fighting earlier int he year, I had several bills looking like your photo. I just ensure that their deep drinking water was replaced several times duirng the day so it didn;t get very dirty and left them to look after their own bills.

You could clean the bill -- my preference is for hydrogen peroxide but saline is also good. Then cover with liquid skin/new skin [called liquid bandage in the USA]

But its not relaly necessary.

WHen my drakes were all hormonal and fighting earlier int he year, I had several bills looking like your photo. I just ensure that their deep drinking water was replaced several times duirng the day so it didn;t get very dirty and left them to look after their own bills.
I did clean it up, and there was a small amount of dried blood on the surface which wiped away in the process- it looks pretty good this morning! On it's way to healing already I think. I'll keep their water bucket cleaned out and refilled throughout the day, possibly continue some ACV, and keep an eye on it!

Back
Top Bottom