Bins for nesting boxes?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Chicken'n'bees, May 12, 2009.

1. Chicken'n'bees

Chicken'n'bees Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2009
    I remember reading that someone used some plastic bins of some sort as nesting boxes. Does anyone remember who wrote about them and where they got them? Is that a good idea for easy cleaning? Any ideas for nesting boxes would be appreciated, I'm a newbie.

2. ChickieKeeta

ChickieKeeta C'mon C'mere Fluffa Feathers

Feb 16, 2009
    Cumberland County NJ
    [​IMG]

You can use almost anything. Covered cat litter box. Pet carriers. Flower pots. Storage bins. baskets. cardboard box.(replace frequently.) Dish pan. Your imagination is the limit.
    I use pet carriers minus the door.

3. The Wolf Queen

The Wolf Queen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Not to mention milk crates. I use those and they work better than a, not very deep, watering trough.

4. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Yep, they need to be about 18" square and a little deeper than that.
    Whatever meets these needs will work.

Have you considered a communal or box nest?

5. imtc

imtc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2008
    I use a cardboard box (the ones clementine oranges come in). It's much thicker cardboard so very sturdy and work great for my girls. They'll pretty much use anything like the other post said.

6. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    I use 5 gal buckets turned on their sides and empty cat litter buckets. The cat litter buckets are the reining favorites. I buy cat litter at Sams - it comes in a squarish green bucket with a blue hinged lid - perfect!

7. chicks rule

chicks rule Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2007
    SW MO
    Quote:I use milk crates, and they work great until you have chicks hatch, I had a chick get it's head stuck through one of the holes in the crate, luckily I found it in time and she survived. What I did then was put parts of old feed sacks under the hay to cover the holes, no incidents since.

8. Chicken'n'bees

Chicken'n'bees Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2009
    Quote:Do the nest boxes need to be 18" square for each hen, or is that for a communal box? We have 6 hens, (except we are wondering if our Buff Orpington might be a rooster) I've read that you should have 2 boxes per 3 hens, is that right? Thanks for all the help.

9. Bard's Rock!

Bard's Rock! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2008
    Indiana
    I am using stacking bins I got at the dollar store...Family Dollar if I recall. I started out with milk crates, but some of my girsl are pretty big so I went to something larger.

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2009
  10. CountryMom

CountryMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    South Texas
    Try kitty litter boxes with the lids on them. Just make sure to weigh them down with a large rock or brick under the shavings so they don't flip the box when they get in and out. Works great and easy to take out and clean up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by