Biodiverse Polyculture (USDA 8a Zone Pasture) - sounds better than "My Acres of Weeds"

Pics
CD8007A6-E417-458C-A5E1-9E767FC7B51D.jpeg

What I think chickens do to the garden when I’m not watching…😂

The neutral to good -

Mulberry Bush - Seasonal Caution

View attachment 2753529

This is the first year I could identify the likely name of the plant, it appears to be a volunteer from the droppings of local birds. Very fast growing, many plants stand 4' tall in just a season. Not yet flowering, (Correction - very small flowers, easily overlooked - this is already fruiting) it appears it will be a late ripening species.

Prior to fruiting, this appears to be a preferred species for the chickens and ducks to seek shelter under during the heat of the day. A small number of hollows, whether intended as nests or dust bath, have been found at the base of these plants. Fast growing vertical stalks provide support for vining plants, helping to lift their fruits off the ground.

Male plants are apparently infamous for their pollen, which can be a powerful allergen.

The fruit is attractive to virtually all species, while the leaves and stems are currently largely ignored by the goats and birds. Unfortunate, as they are moderately high in protein and numerous amino acids and would be a valuable feed. Monitor while in fruit for potential dietary imbalance. Additionally, posters here at BYC indicate chickens eating a high mulberry fruit diet can display purple poops. There are no known toxicities associated with mulberry consumption, and they are a widely recommended supplimental feed source while in season.

Nutritionally, Mulberry fruit is mostly water, but is comprised of about 2.5% protein, 2% fat, 4.5% fiber. Apparently, the plant has good amounts of lysine, methionine, and tryptophan - with red mulberry having more in the leaves, less in the fruit and white mulberry demonstrating the reverse.

Apart from thinning to remove male plants and to discourage gorging, this is valuable in specimen plantings. I need to get the goats to eating it.
I never hated these so much until I owned land. It's a constant battle beating them back out of my hedge line and pines.

So yesterday, before it rained, I added another 50# of Sorghum-Sudangrass Hybrid by overseeding. Once again, I'm overfeeding the birds in an effort to keep them distracted long enough for some of this to sprout. That brings me to $100 invested in the pasture this year, which is the budget for it.

Fingers crossed.

I can also confirm the return this year of the bluet, and the flax - both of which are currently in flower, as well as LOTS of the native blackberry. Most of my grapes are waking up, the various grasses are greening, the one spot of yellow clover I can find overwintered successfully, as well as the passion fruit.

New photos should begin to follow as we update for the current year.

I never hated these so much until I owned land. It's a constant battle beating them back out of my hedge line and pines.
I don’t know how well this holds up where you are, but in Florida there are “real” mullberries and then there are “paper mulberries” which are something else entirely. The paper mulberries grow like weeds and constantly infest fence lines. They don’t have the fruit value that real mulberries have.

I don’t know how well this holds up where you are, but in Florida there are “real” mullberries and then there are “paper mulberries” which are something else entirely. The paper mulberries grow like weeds and constantly infest fence lines. They don’t have the fruit value that real mulberries have.
That's probably the case. I recall someone saying something like that as a kid and tasting them. I don't know if the taste is an indicator, but most did not taste well. These shoot up all over in ditches, fence lines, and other foliage. Not sure if they're part of a root colony.

That's probably the case. I recall someone saying something like that as a kid and tasting them. I don't know if the taste is an indicator, but most did not taste well. These shoot up all over in ditches, fence lines, and other foliage. Not sure if they're part of a root colony.
Do the fruits of your mullberries look like blackberries or like pink or red spiky balls?

Back
Top Bottom