Biomox for egg yolk peritonitis dosage

basement chick

Songster
8 Years
May 20, 2015
North Carolina
I have Biomox for Dogs oral suspension. My vet said add .7 ml in drinking water for 5 days for one chicken. This doesn't sound right to help presumed egg yolk peritonitis infection. The vet just prescribed for me per my request. She doesn't treat chickens. Has anyone ever used this?

Yes, I think that would be like spitting in the ocean. That product is 50mg per ml. The normal dosage for chickens of amoxicillin is 125 to 250mg twice daily for a 5 pound hen. Some vets prescribe 57 mg per pound twice daily. You might be better off getting amoxicillin for fish, either Fish Mox or Aqua Mox 250 mg tablets online or sometimes may be available in feed stores. Give it for 10 days. Antibiotics may or may not help if egg yolk peritonitis or salpingitis is advanced. I would also use probiotics or plain yogurt in food if her feed does not already contain them. Here is a link for Aqua Mox:
https://www.lambertvetsupply.com/Aq...MI4921uqvI8gIVsMmUCR2BYgtsEAQYAiABEgJ2CfD_BwE

Thank you. I found information on PoultryDVM about adding amoxicillin trihydrate to drinking water. Going to try increasing to 200 mg per liter. I do realize I may be fighting a losing battle but she is a fighter and I have to try more than probiotics and electrolytes. She did come out in the yard tonight and eat some of her favorite leaves so that is better than yesterday.😊

That is not a website with always the most correct information. Some of it is good, but they can have incorrect info as well. It is run by one person. Amoxicillin liquid usually settles out in the water, thus the instructions to always shake well before preparing a dose. So it would not be accurate to give in the water because the particulates would settle out, and the chicken would not get the right dosage. With chickens, it is almost always best to give medicines orally for the most accurate dosage. Just my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom