biospot frontline advantax

Do you know if thats safe in the house with a cockatoo? Are there smells from it?I don't want to hurt my birds inside either. I'm very careful with her, I have to smoke outside which really stinks especially in the summer time, she's very susceptive to any odors or perfumes. I think the best thing for the cats and dogs now is a flea comb. Its alot of work but it will keep my babies all safe. My 17year old kept telling me I was killing her cat. I only tried to do good by her. Anyways, she works at the humane society, so I told her to take care of her own pets, I'm not gonna be to blame for what happens anymore. I've got enough animals to worry about of my own. Next time she's getting the vet bill.

Ok, I have 13 dogs and 2 cats. I am FAR from being well off. Here are a couple of suggestions for saving money on flea products and heartworm preventatives.

I buy Advantage in the largest dose available and dose it out myself to each individual animal. BIG savings on flea treatment for both dogs and cats. Do Not use Advantix on cats but you can dose this out for your dogs. Don't buy this from the vet. It is much cheaper from any number of pet product companies or even off Ebay. I find it is cheaper on Ebay during the cold months. So I stock up on it in January for the summer months.

Heartworm preventative, another Big savings opportunity. I buy Ivomec (ivermectin) injectable 1% sterile solution. Before you freak out, this is NOT injected into the animal. It is put on their food once a month. One bottle, 50 ml costs around $45 and last me over 3 years. It does have a long shelf life. I have never had a dog test positive to HW. I have my dogs checked every 2 years now instead of every year. This is only to keep my vet happy. Ivomec can be purchased from any farm supply store. Note, I give HW preventative all year round,12 months even though I live in MI.

These two things have probably saved me thousands of dollars over the years. Of course it helps that 12 of my dogs weigh under 5#. One tube of Advantage for dogs over 55# will do all of my chihuhuas and 2 cats for 3 months. One tube will do my sheltie for 3 months.

If intestinal worms are a problem, you can alternate Ivomec and Interceptor. Between the two of them all worms are irradicated. UMMM, maybe not tape, I can't remember but since I keep my dogs free of fleas, they don't have tapeworm anyway.

There is an internet sight that gives dose per weight on the Advantage for both dogs and cats. I will see if I can find where I stored it. Or you can google for it.

Talk to your vet about the ivermectin doseing. Don't be surprised if he or she will not co-operate though. It took me over 2 years before my vet finally gave up and agreed that what I was doing was deffinately working but it sure didn't help out his pocket.

be careful w/ivermectin and dogs - over and over, on horse lists, I have heard of collies and mixes dying from it, as apparently they (possibly some other breeds too, I have no idea) are extra super sensitive to it.

Not saying don't use it on dogs - this is just a caution.

Pat

I am glad you brought that up Pat. Yes, there are some breeds of dog that are sensitive to ivermectin. Again, talk to your vet.

Back
Top Bottom