Bipolar English bulldog

Jrbd82

Songster
Feb 4, 2021
Central Texas
So T-bone is a lovable chunky little guy. Except for when it comes to certain dogs who just don’t rub him the right way or other animals who might scurry across the yard. When we got our first rooster he wanted nothing more than to chew his face off but he could not catch him. Then we had chickens and found T-bone in their coop alongside of them happily eating their food. Not the chickens themselves.We have since added quite a few chickens duck and quail and now a turkey. He has chased after the chickens and tried to destroy the cage of the quail, nowT-bone has not been allowed to go out back with everyone else because we don’t know what he’s going to do. Wow I don’t want anyone to die I feel bad that he is tied to a tree in the front yard instead of running around with his chicken hearted (ie- scared of everything ) pal -our Great Dane. I thought maybe to get a muzzle but wondering if anyone has any pointers?

Attachments

• BB8B3EF5-8FF9-4D49-B6D7-14CBFC1FDDF8.jpeg
    BB8B3EF5-8FF9-4D49-B6D7-14CBFC1FDDF8.jpeg
    659.3 KB · Views: 35
He hasn't been trained to ignore those birds, and will not be safe with them until time and effort is spent to do that. There's no way that English Bulldog can safely wear a muzzle out there! He has to have a basket muzzle, and they just won't fit his pushed-in face.
Also, this breed isn't so easy to train, they want to be couch potatoes (all they are physically up tp doing) and aren't usually 'obedience minded'. Not like a retriever, for example.
Back to training...
Mary

I have an English Bulldog too, but she is the most dependable of our dogs (other is a Boston Terrier) around the chickens. You have to work with them. Yes, they are super bull-headed, but my Aunt Clara is proof they are capable. She is super dog aggressive, sometimes even to the dogs she lives with.

Here's what we did when we started chickening....
We raised the chicks in the master whirlpool tub, which meant Aunt Clara could hear them and not get to them since the master bedroom is also her lair. I would take the babies out, one at a time and cage them inside my hands at first to let her sniff them and tell her "my chicken," eventually opening my hands and allowing her to inspect them a little more closely. They were usually wet when they went back in the tub (diggy slobber). Once they moved outside, I took her out on a leash and sat inside the run with them. If she acted like she was interested (and she did lunge a time or two), I corrected her by jerking back on the lead and telling her "No! My chicken!" Eventually she did learn to ignore them, and I began dropping the leash but being close enough to grab it if I needed to. And, of course, we eventually got to the point of not needing the leash.

When the chicks began being allowed out of the run to range, I began all over again with the leash in the yard. She learned to accept them as a part of the scenery.

That was three years ago. Now, when I go out to check on them on the mornings and to tick them on and count them at night, I tell her, "Let's go check the chickens," and she happily tags along, eating nothing in the pen except the chicken feed. In fact, she is so good with the chickens that I often leave her outside to watch the yard when they are free ranging because she has been exposed and taught what is expected of her. It takes time and effort.

Now, the Boston Terrier was much more of a challenge, believe it or not (being a terrier), and I would never leave her alone with chicks. We trained her the same way, but her prey drive is much, much stronger. She is super intelligent and obedient, but I do not trust that she would be able to help herself if I wasn't around. However, as long as I am present, I can call her name and she will literally snap her head away from her target. When we got our first babies, she would sit outside the fence and just tremble to get at them. Of course, I would correct her when she did this. It took her awhile to be able to ignore, and now she can be around the free ranging birds too, but I am careful not to put her in a situation where she is confined with birds without supervision. I am certain this is as good as it's going to get for her terrier abilities. I am happy with where we are today with both Zelda and Aunt Clara.

Ultimately, you will reap on your training investment. Also, you have to know your dog's limitations and have realistic expectations. You can definitely get to a good place with this. Just be consistent.

I have an English Bulldog too, but she is the most dependable of our dogs (other is a Boston Terrier) around the chickens. You have to work with them. Yes, they are super bull-headed, but my Aunt Clara is proof they are capable. She is super dog aggressive, sometimes even to the dogs she lives with.

Here's what we did when we started chickening....
We raised the chicks in the master whirlpool tub, which meant Aunt Clara could hear them and not get to them since the master bedroom is also her lair. I would take the babies out, one at a time and cage them inside my hands at first to let her sniff them and tell her "my chicken," eventually opening my hands and allowing her to inspect them a little more closely. They were usually wet when they went back in the tub (diggy slobber). Once they moved outside, I took her out on a leash and sat inside the run with them. If she acted like she was interested (and she did lunge a time or two), I corrected her by jerking back on the lead and telling her "No! My chicken!" Eventually she did learn to ignore them, and I began dropping the leash but being close enough to grab it if I needed to. And, of course, we eventually got to the point of not needing the leash.

When the chicks began being allowed out of the run to range, I began all over again with the leash in the yard. She learned to accept them as a part of the scenery.

That was three years ago. Now, when I go out to check on them on the mornings and to tick them on and count them at night, I tell her, "Let's go check the chickens," and she happily tags along, eating nothing in the pen except the chicken feed. In fact, she is so good with the chickens that I often leave her outside to watch the yard when they are free ranging because she has been exposed and taught what is expected of her. It takes time and effort.

Now, the Boston Terrier was much more of a challenge, believe it or not (being a terrier), and I would never leave her alone with chicks. We trained her the same way, but her prey drive is much, much stronger. She is super intelligent and obedient, but I do not trust that she would be able to help herself if I wasn't around. However, as long as I am present, I can call her name and she will literally snap her head away from her target. When we got our first babies, she would sit outside the fence and just tremble to get at them. Of course, I would correct her when she did this. It took her awhile to be able to ignore, and now she can be around the free ranging birds too, but I am careful not to put her in a situation where she is confined with birds without supervision. I am certain this is as good as it's going to get for her terrier abilities. I am happy with where we are today with both Zelda and Aunt Clara.

Ultimately, you will reap on your training investment. Also, you have to know your dog's limitations and have realistic expectations. You can definitely get to a good place with this. Just be consistent.
Ty! T-Bone is an old feller- 8 years- But he thinks he’s a puppy! I do have chickens in the brooder right now and some fixing to hatch so I will give it a shot! Thank you again

Aunt Clara is 8 too! I thought she was dying over the weekend, so I took her to the vet yesterday. She was bitten in the belly by a snake! She is extremely resistant to being rolled over (No belly rubs), so we never see her undercarriage. Poor baby is black and blue!
Oh no!!! Poor baby! Is she going to be okay?

Aunt Clara is 8 too! I thought she was dying over the weekend, so I took her to the vet yesterday. She was bitten in the belly by a snake! She is extremely resistant to being rolled over (No belly rubs), so we never see her undercarriage. Poor baby is black and blue!
Ps- I’m from Hannibal Mo and my brother now lives in lake st Louis!

Back
Top Bottom