Birchen Marans Thread

Pics
Well, I would have been posting updated pics next week, but all of my boys are gone now. We purchased property that had been grandfathered for livestock. Apparently that went away when we purchased the property. Even though I was permitted to have roosters (as in I had a permit), a neighbor's complaint gave me two days to process or rehome all of my boys. Right to farm laws went away when my DH purchased the property eight years ago. My small farm is not going to be able to continue as I had planned. This is old news now, but wanted to share here as well. I can keep my hens and pullets, so that is the bright side. I am pretty heartbroken.

I would do a lot more research on the right to farm laws. There has to be a loop hole. In michigan we are continually getting messed with by cities saying we dont have rights. But in almost every case where someone has stood their ground has one. Im sure there is a way. You just have to decide how bad you want it!

The problem is that I was given no time. The first guy gave me one day to get rid of four crowers (fine, it was a week early on them, but they were on their way out anyway). I started mad research on the subject, printing documents, bookmarking pages, etc. The next lady showed up and gave me from Thursday to Sunday night to be rid of them. Showed me documents that gave her the right to confiscate all of my birds otherwise and showed me the fine. She was also able to cite code at me (might have been jibberish for all I know, I was walking around barefoot in my PJ's). Per my husband, she showed up prepared to confiscate birds. At this point, I am still researching, but have lost my boys (one of them got to go on to a good home). I am searching for a bigger home and property for more reasons, but I do live in the middle of the city. This particular property had the city built around it. I will continue to search, but there was not much I could do in the amount of time I had.

If anyone is interested in really nice silver birchen marans roos (I have three other than the one I'm keeping that have no copper leakage so far), let me know. I hatched 90% roos, so I'm looking for homes for the better looking boys.

If anyone is interested in really nice silver birchen marans roos (I have three other than the one I'm keeping that have no copper leakage so far), let me know. I hatched 90% roos, so I'm looking for homes for the better looking boys.
can i ask where you are located? my one birchen cockerel is still showing zero silver on his neck at 12 weeks, so i have the feeling he's not going to be a keeper...

can i ask where you are located?  my one birchen cockerel is still showing zero silver on his neck at 12 weeks, so i have the feeling he's not going to be a keeper...

I'm in CT. I would be willing to ship if you'd split the cost. I've never shipped chickens, so I'd have to see if it's feasible. Here's a pic of one of them when he was 5 weeks old. I'll try to get pics of them soon. They are now 7 weeks old and silver is starting to come in on their backs too.

Quote: Not difficult at all. Go to http://www.boxesforbirds.com and buy a box. The boxes are reusable and you can buy new Hepa filters to go over the holes. Boxes are not only USPS but Veterinarian Approved.Their boxes are sized for pigeons so tell the owner how many and what size chickens you are shipping and he will set you up with the right size box. Buy a package of Grogel+ ( the 4.00 package is enough for 100 chicks and enough for several birds). Do not use fruit as Calif. is very picky about letting uninspected fruit thru the border and you don't want the birds held at the border for that reason. Put excelsior pads on the bottom of the box. Send the birds USPS Express Overnight. They will give your forms to fill out. Check regs to see if you need to be NPIP to ship to Calif. . Get your tracking number and check constantly as they travel. I have never had any trouble I will say tho that the new 3 bird box from boxesforbirds.com is a wonder. they have a new divider which splits the nearly 4 ft. long box into 3 roomy triangle enclosures. Very neat! Because the box is so long, it went very quickly and got here early! My started trio came from Montana to western PA. Arrived early and in perfect shape, as were the birds.
Best,
Karen

Last edited:
Not difficult at all. Go to http://www.boxesforbirds.com and buy a box.  The boxes are reusable and you can buy new Hepa filters to go over the holes. Boxes are not only USPS but Veterinarian Approved.Their boxes are sized for pigeons so tell the owner how many and what size chickens you are shipping and he will set you up with the right size box. Buy a package of Grogel+ ( the 4.00 package is enough for 100 chicks and enough for several birds). Do not use fruit as Calif. is very picky about letting uninspected fruit thru the border and you don't want the birds held at the border for that reason. Put excelsior pads on the bottom of the box.  Send the birds USPS Express Overnight. They will give your forms to fill out.  Check regs to see if you need to be NPIP to ship to Calif. .  Get your tracking number and check constantly as they travel. I have never had any trouble I will say tho that the new 3 bird box from boxesforbirds.com is a wonder. they have a new divider which splits the nearly 4 ft. long box into 3 roomy triangle enclosures. Very neat!  Because the box is so long, it went very quickly and got here early! My started trio came from Montana to western PA. Arrived early and in perfect shape, as were the birds.
 Best,
 Karen

Wow, that's really great information. It's good to know... Thanks!
-Janet

Back
Top Bottom