Birchen Marans Thread

Pics

write2caroline

Crowing
13 Years
Jun 21, 2009
Jacksonville
Hi

There was not a thread for just chatting about Birchen Marans. I have two roos and a pullet. I was hoping to have 2 pullets and one roo. The roo is too the left of my Cream Legbar pullet.

They were hatched 2nd week of May from GFF. I think they are beautiful but I am a little biased being their chicken momma. They seem to grow slowly. I thought they were bantams for a while but they are starting to grow into their feet and have a lot of feather growth to do. My pullet is really sweet and friendly. The boys are more cautious. They are not crowing so I know they are still immature. I am very pleased with them so far.

Anyway. Wanted to see what other people had to say about this gorgeous breed.
Cal

Last edited:
Bumping this thread.

Here is our birchen hen and her egg next to a bantam cochin egg. She will be 2 years old this spring. She’s just coming out of a molt, so not the most flattering pic of her.
I’ve only been able to hatch olive eggers with her this year. Working on sourcing some quality hatching eggs so we can get a rooster for her. She was a lucky find as a 5 weeks old pullet. Went to get faverolles and the owner didn’t want her. Fine by me. But now I need more!

Attachments

• 4FBD5FEE-CF4B-4F08-90F7-08BA92614E0A.jpeg
    4FBD5FEE-CF4B-4F08-90F7-08BA92614E0A.jpeg
    457.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 2F06AC7A-ED2B-4F1E-B699-F8F7663FB123.jpeg
    2F06AC7A-ED2B-4F1E-B699-F8F7663FB123.jpeg
    520.7 KB · Views: 6
I only have 4... here is a pic of each from a week ago... pic 3 is of the one above with the gold coloring coming thru... looks like 3 roos to me so far.... but I have some black birchen hatchlings as well... from Rachel Johnson that I can use to get some hens into the flock and am incubating some BBS eggs from Stephanie Wind... we shall see how it all shakes out!

Attachments

• Blue Birchen Marans 1e.JPG
    Blue Birchen Marans 1e.JPG
    378.6 KB · Views: 117
  • Blue Birchen Marans 2e.JPG
    Blue Birchen Marans 2e.JPG
    526.2 KB · Views: 80
  • Blue Birchen Marans 3g.JPG
    Blue Birchen Marans 3g.JPG
    346.9 KB · Views: 7
  • Blue Birchen Marans 4d.JPG
    Blue Birchen Marans 4d.JPG
    355.4 KB · Views: 7
Question: I have scanned lots of pics online for birchen marans but cant seem to get many with photos of thigh feathers with silver and am curious about feather colors on the thigh... I have 4 chicks that are supposed to be pure birchen marans... they are about 4 weeks old. 3 of the four have silver (white) feathers on the thigh... my question is... (1) is this normal, good, bad indifferent... and (2) does this tell me they will be roos... i ask the 2nd question cause 1 of the 3 looks like a roo for sure the others have no roo sighs so far. Thanks. Here are some pics.. sorry for poor quality
My Marans look that way at that age too.
They won't see their final color until they reach maturity. Sometimes colors don't settle until 18 months in some cases! Marans are a slower maturing bird.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom