Crested cream legbar roo over various breeds and possible outcomes?

JChipowsky

Songster
Jul 31, 2023
Conway SC
We want to do the following crosses with the Crested cream legbar roo over different hens. Looking for any additional info (pictures if you have the crosses).

Light brahmas, I believe this is a sexlink cross with pullets being gold and cockerels being silver/white. Laying a light green egg.
Midnight majesty marans, will lay a dark olive egg.
White leghorns, will lay a light blue egg.
Rhode island red, will lay gree/olive eggs.

Any other mixes anyone knows about would also be helpful.
Thanks in advance.

We want to do the following crosses with the Crested cream legbar roo over different hens. Looking for any additional info (pictures if you have the crosses).
No pictures, but a few more details of expected chick traits.

With a Crested Cream Legbar father, all chicks should have white barring over the other colors on their feathers, and all chicks should have crests on their heads.

Light brahmas, I believe this is a sexlink cross with pullets being gold and cockerels being silver/white. Laying a light green egg.
Yes sexlink, as you said. All chicks should have pea combs (like the Brahma's but bigger and less tidy because of being crossed.) All chicks should have feathered feet (not as many feathers as their Brahma mother, but more than their clean-legged father.)

Midnight majesty marans, will lay a dark olive egg.
Chicks should be dark colors (lots of black, some red/gold/brown shades), with white barring. If the Marans has feathers on the feet, the chicks might have some too.

White leghorns, will lay a light blue egg.
Chicks should be white, possibly with small black spots ("paint"). They will have white barring, genetically speaking, but it is not going to be very obvious on a white chicken.

Rhode island red, will lay green/olive eggs.
Chicks will have quite a bit of red/gold coloring, with some amount of black as well, plus of course the white barring.

With a Crested Cream Legbar father, all chicks should have white barring over the other colors on their feathers, and all chicks should have crests on their heads.

Yes sexlink, as you said. All chicks should have pea combs (like the Brahma's but bigger and less tidy because of being crossed.) All chicks should have feathered feet (not as many feathers as their Brahma mother, but more than their clean-legged father.)

Chicks should be dark colors (lots of black, some red/gold/brown shades), with white barring. If the Marans has feathers on the feet, the chicks might have some too.

Chicks should be white, possibly with small black spots ("paint"). They will have white barring, genetically speaking, but it is not going to be very obvious on a white chicken.

Chicks will have quite a bit of red/gold coloring, with some amount of black as well, plus of course the white barring.
Thank you!

These are the first chicks out. We tried to only incubate the light brahmas and cream legbars, but a maran egg made it in. We're still waiting for a few more to hatch, but so far we have 2 light brahma cross, 1 maran cross and 1 pure legbar. (In order from left to right)

Attachments

• 1000005550.jpg
    1000005550.jpg
    423.5 KB · Views: 13
Will crossing a legbar roo with brown leghorns give you chicks that resemble legbar hens? I think I read they'll lay a pale blue egg and have crests
Yes, they should look very much like Legbar hens, including the crest.
Yes, they should lay blue eggs, but I don't know what shade of blue (pale vs. darker.)

Yes, they should look very much like Legbar hens, including the crest.
Yes, they should lay blue eggs, but I don't know what shade of blue (pale vs. darker.)
Thanks! The hatchery didn't have any cream legbar sexed pullet chicks when I ordered my cockerels so I had to get brown leghorns instead. Half my flock are autosexed and the rest are brown leghorns

Thanks! The hatchery didn't have any cream legbar sexed pullet chicks when I ordered my cockerels so I had to get brown leghorns instead. Half my flock are autosexed and the rest are brown leghorns
Daughters from the Brown Leghorns, with a Cream Legbar father, can probably be added to your autosexing flock. They should have the correct genes, except that they haven't been selected for extra-obvious expression of the genes. So you might get a few more confusing in-the-middle chicks than what pure Legbars produce.

Daughters of Brown Leghorn/Cream Legbar will have only one blue egg gene (vs. two in pure Cream Legbars) and only one crest gene (vs. two in pure Cream Legbars), so you may see not-blue eggs and not-crested birds in later generations that are descended from them.

I've never raised any leghorns before but because they were my dads favorite chickens I decided to get some (last year) I'm hoping they'll hatch some chicks next year. They're the most active healthiest chicks I've ever raised.

These are the first chicks out. We tried to only incubate the light brahmas and cream legbars, but a maran egg made it in. We're still waiting for a few more to hatch, but so far we have 2 light brahma cross, 1 maran cross and 1 pure legbar. (In order from left to right)
I have all these birds too! I would love to see updates of what they look like as they grow up.

Back
Top Bottom