would these technically be Olive eggers?

junior67

Free Ranging
Jan 29, 2021
MA
So I am hatching some eggs from my flock. Not sure if I can say they will be "olive eggers" when I sell the chicks so wanted to check.

I have 2 Cochin roo's a blue and a splash.

the Hens eggs I am hatching are:

Splash Ameraucana (not EE but Ameraucana)
Blue Ameraucana
crested cream legbar

then:
a splash that is EE/Cochin cross (lays more of a blue than a green)
a blue EE/Cochin cross that lays more of a green.

Thinking the babies from the cross hens have a 50/50 chance of brown or olive? the others would lay olive or a light olive I should say right?

So I am hatching some eggs from my flock. Not sure if I can say they will be "olive eggers" when I sell the chicks so wanted to check.

I have 2 Cochin roo's a blue and a splash.

the Hens eggs I am hatching are:

Splash Ameraucana (not EE but Ameraucana)
Blue Ameraucana
crested cream legbar

then:
a splash that is EE/Cochin cross (lays more of a blue than a green)
a blue EE/Cochin cross that lays more of a green.

Thinking the babies from the cross hens have a 50/50 chance of brown or olive? the others would lay olive or a light olive I should say right?
Because Cochins lay brown eggs that are not especially dark, their daughters will lay eggs that are light to medium green, not the dark shade that is usually called "olive."

Very dark green eggs ("olive") happen when one parent is Marans or a similar breed that lays very dark brown eggs, or in later generations that came from a cross like that.

(I do not think that actual olives are particularly dark green in color, but that is the word some people have chosen to use for extra-dark green eggs. Lighter shades seem to just get called "green," except when people get creative with other color names like "mint.")

Because Cochins lay brown eggs that are not especially dark, their daughters will lay eggs that are light to medium green, not the dark shade that is usually called "olive."

Very dark green eggs ("olive") happen when one parent is Marans or a similar breed that lays very dark brown eggs, or in later generations that came from a cross like that.

(I do not think that actual olives are particularly dark green in color, but that is the word some people have chosen to use for extra-dark green eggs. Lighter shades seem to just get called "green," except when people get creative with other color names like "mint.")
Thank you. That is why I wasn't sure since I knew they would be lighter green eggs.

Back
Top Bottom