Birchen Marans Thread

Pics
Actually it is more commonly called Blue Birchen.

That is the "Hobby" name but when the APA was consulted by the MCC about the actual names for the two varieties to be called we were told Birchen for the black and Silver Blue for the blue. So if their time ever comes to be APA accepted that is what they will be known as.

There is much confusion when people try to exhibit them and call them by the hobby names. Sometimes they get judged in separate classes if one person has Black Birchen one, Birchen one has Silver Black Birchen. The show secretaries only know what the exhibitors write n the entry form so all of those names go down on the tags making 3 color divisions for the same colored bird.

Besides "Blue Birchen" doesn't make sense considering the base color of the bird is Blue not the Birchen markings.

That is the "Hobby" name but when the APA was consulted by the MCC about the actual names for the two varieties to be called we were told Birchen for the black and Silver Blue for the blue. So if their time ever comes to be APA accepted that is what they will be known as.

There is much confusion when people try to exhibit them and call them by the hobby names. Sometimes they get judged in separate classes if one person has Black Birchen one, Birchen one has Silver Black Birchen. The show secretaries only know what the exhibitors write n the entry form so all of those names go down on the tags making 3 color divisions for the same colored bird.

Besides "Blue Birchen" doesn't make sense considering the base color of the bird is Blue not the Birchen markings.
That's why I said it is 'more commonly called'. 'Silver Blue' might be what will be used for exhibitors, but exhibitors do not make up the entirety of the breed, as you say, we hobbyists use the hobby term because it is the one that actually makes sense.

Btw, how is the term Blue Birchen any different from Black Copper? I am still learning poultry genetics, but in the case of Black Copper and Blue Copper, isn't the base color of the bird black or blue? Why not just be consistent? It would be silly to use Black Copper and Copper Blue, and imo the same can be said for Birchen and Silver Blue. It doesn't fit.

That's why I said it is 'more commonly called'. 'Silver Blue' might be what will be used for exhibitors, but exhibitors do not make up the entirety of the breed, as you say, we hobbyists use the hobby term because it is the one that actually makes sense.

Btw, how is the term Blue Birchen any different from Black Copper? I am still learning poultry genetics, but in the case of Black Copper and Blue Copper, isn't the base color of the bird black or blue? Why not just be consistent? It would be silly to use Black Copper and Copper Blue, and imo the same can be said for Birchen and Silver Blue. It doesn't fit.
Apparently you took that the wrong way.

I would prefer to call them Blue Birchen too but then I actually do say Copper blue. I agree with you it does follow suit since the Black Coppers are already named wrong. The BC color is similar to the OE BBR which is one of the oldest recognized breeds and varieties but since the color is just a little bit different and the BC hens do not allow for the color in the breast BC got a new name. They are their own special color there is no other breed with a version of Black Copper. Birchen however isn't a new color to the APA/ABA so to get them recognized their name would have to be that of one that is already in the SOP.

I also think it makes just as much sense to say Silver Black Birchen or Silver Blue Birchen considering how many are actually cream or gold. Then also consider the "hobby names"' given to so many of the recognized OEGB blue red, brassy back etc. The "rules" of color naming is based on the fact that with all the breeds and colors to recognize it is easier for judges to remember specific colors if they have the same name when they are the same thing.

I understand that there are more people that don't show than do and that is great. Its not like I show every bird I own, and I do not just keep show birds either. I am a firm believer that if they are your chickens do whatever you want with them. They are just chickens after all, but when your ideal goal is the same as that person the does show it only makes sense to at least be on the same level as them when it comes to knowing what color name your bird is. I was merely sharing information.

Have a wonderful day ! :)

Nicol

hello -- i'm new to this thread, but currently have seven birchen marans eggs underneath one of my broody girls -- so excited! the eggs came from Thistledown Farms in Davis, CA.

My birchen marans are six weeks old today. These are from crfarms here on BYC and were hatched from really dark eggs. I apologize, I am new to this world, so I don't know what number they were. Much darker than the second batch I got for a different source, but those didn't hatch. It appears that I have four boys and a girl. One might be a girl, but I am doubting it. I am doing my pre-assessment of them.

Out of the boys, I have one blue. Shanks seem appropriately feathered. He is already starting to get the silver in on his neck and saddle. Until I saw those pointy feather and colors in the wrong place, I was thinking he might be a girl. So far he seems to be a good boy. Pretty blue lacing and silver feathers.

The other three boys are black. I am still hoping one is a girl, but at six weeks, I don't think their comb should have any pink to it, so probably not ( the one girl is very obvious in comparison). So, of the three boys, one does not have feathered shanks, so he is a cull ( I want to raise these for meat also, and have limited space). He is also one of my iffy ones but his comb is bigger than the blue's, so I am sticking with boy.

Of the two boys left, one is the all black chick. He could still get silver. His comb has way too many points, does that change as they mature? I also think it may be crooked, but probably too early to decide. He is huge! I can always spot him because he is so much bigger than the others. If size is an issue in this variety, maybe he will be worth keeping for that purpose?

Last boy, nothing special, nothing bad. Too many points also, but otherwise seems fine. He may be the keeper. I will have to do a weigh in and picture analysis with them sometime soon.

what is theyre personality like? I might be getting a roo of this breed and would like to know as I have had bad experience with the roosters before but they were not this breed

don't know about personalities yet myself, as i'm just getting started with two (original plans for 7 didn't quite work out) baby chicks, about 10 days old now -- here with their broody-foster mom, a silver penciled plymouth rock:

they are about 10 days old -- can't wait to see how they grow up! so far they are completely identical, i can't tell them apart at all...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom