Bird aviary advice needed

Chicken-

Chirping
Apr 6, 2016
So my first question is how many birds I can fit into my aviary it is 27 feet long and has an 8 feet width and it’s height is 9 feet it has plenty of nesting sites and boxes an artificial tree some toys and six food/water dishes that are quite big and a lot of perches I already have about four cockatiels, three budgies, four lovebirds, two Alexandrian and a rose ringed parakeet, four doves and two diamond doves and two white quail in there I was thinking if I could add two macaws and a pair of eastern Rosella or would it be to much.
Then my second question is if I could leave them out There during the winter even though I do live in Pakistan in the winters it can get below zero here but I have heating facilities in there so I don’t really know some help would be nice

I'd say use your better judgement. If you feel that many birds is too much, then don't add them. I read you need a lot of room for having multiple species in one aviary for they fight/fly away from each other. With the winter, I have no clue.

Macaw parrots are allergic to the dust created by cockatiels. I'm not sure if that would be an issue outdoors but I don't think such a large parrot should be housed with smaller birds. They'd more than likely take an unhealthy interest in the quail (at least) and those big beaks can do some serious damage. Even if kept in an adjacent aviary there needs to be a gap to ensure the Macaws cannot bite at a bird that lands on the wire. They are best in their own aviary as are rosellas who can be very aggressive when breeding.

As long as your birds are acclimated to the outdoor temperature and protected from the prevailing winds they should be fine outside over winter. Do they have a covered end in the aviary they can shelter in?

Last edited:
Macaw parrots are allergic to the dust created by cockatiels. I'm not sure if that would be an issue outdoors but I don't think such a large parrot should be housed with smaller birds. They'd more than likely take an unhealthy interest in the quail (at least) and those big beaks can do some serious damage. Even if kept in an adjacent aviary there needs to be a gap to ensure the Macaws cannot bite at a bird that lands on the wire. They are best in their own aviary as are rosellas who can be very aggressive when breeding.

As long as your birds are acclimated to the outdoor temperature and protected from the prevailing winds they should be fine outside over winter. Do they have a covered end in the aviary they can shelter in?
I do have structural supports in place to protect them from extreme weather and as I said I also have heating facilitation’s and as long as it comes to the cockatiels and quail I do have another aviary I can keep them in

So my first question is how many birds I can fit into my aviary it is 27 feet long and has an 8 feet width and it’s height is 9 feet it has plenty of nesting sites and boxes an artificial tree some toys and six food/water dishes that are quite big and a lot of perches I already have about four cockatiels, three budgies, four lovebirds, two Alexandrian and a rose ringed parakeet, four doves and two diamond doves and two white quail in there I was thinking if I could add two macaws and a pair of eastern Rosella or would it be to much.
Then my second question is if I could leave them out There during the winter even though I do live in Pakistan in the winters it can get below zero here but I have heating facilities in there so I don’t really know some help would be nice
don't leave your birds out if it is below zero they like warmth not cold put them in a warm place that is inside

Probably be careful with housing different species together and make sure the birds have enough space so that they don’t get in each other’s way. If any fighting should happen- remove the attacker at once to prevent further aggression and injuries.

download (1).jpeg
download (2).jpeg

Galah/rose breasted cockatoos might be fun!

Attachments

• download (1).jpeg
    download (1).jpeg
    11.7 KB · Views: 2
  • download (2).jpeg
    download (2).jpeg
    7.3 KB · Views: 1
Macaws and other large parrots pose serious risks to smaller birds. They can cause serious damage with their beaks, and may do so for entertainment. We're talking about animals that, when kept as household pets, will learn to call over any other pets (dogs, cats, etc) in order to bite them and watch them run away. They need to be kept away from other birds, or they'll most likely maim and kill them.
Also, keep in mind that large parrots (including things like cockatoos) have roughly the problem-solving and entertainment needs of a 2-year-old human child, and many can outlive their owners. They're extremely destructive even when well entertained and given toys, and will break things regardless of what you do to distract them. If not given enough enrichment, they pluck feathers, and especially bored ones will rip out their own skin. Most in captivity aren't properly cared for. They aren't birds to get lightly. They're really zoo animals, not pets, and require something like an enclosure you'd see in a zoo.

Stick with the birds you have, maybe increase the group size for some of them. The quail in particular would probably appreciate more companions.

Back
Top Bottom